Help clownfish is resting on bottom of tank!!!

iAmARomeoSF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if he is sick or maybe my water conditions aren't perfect but this guy has done this once before in my previous tank and seemed to get better once I transferred him to the new tank a few months back but now he's doing it again.

please check the video out and let me know what you think

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it is the same but a while ago, I had a oodinum outbreak that killed 5/6 of my fish, and my clowns beahvior was just to stand and hoovering in the same spot like that...
Does he have any white spots?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I couldn't get the videos to load and now I have to leave for work. Can you post to Youtube and put up a link? Otherwise, perhaps other folks can see the videos...

Jay

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just video of a weak clown hover above the gravel, sometime tilted to the side, breathing fast. Video not clear enough to tell if there is any marking on the scales/skin. Sterile tank with no fauna or flora. No LR that I can see, well maybe LR but pretty sterile.
All I can tell is it is a sick fish.
I would isolate him and treat with meds. Which meds depends on better picture to narrow down the possible etiology of the disease.

OP
OP
I

iAmARomeoSF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it is the same but a while ago, I had a oodinum outbreak that killed 5/6 of my fish, and my clowns beahvior was just to stand and hoovering in the same spot like that...
Does he have any white spots?
No white spots at all and he gets active when its time to eat but then back to hovering and tilting shortly there after almost as if he's exhausted

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be helpful if you video wasn't so far away, hard to really see whats he's doing. But my clown will sometimes lay at the bottom of the tank. He did it for most of the day yesterday, now today he's swimming around. His habits can be odd from time to time.

How many days has he been laying in that spot?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t open video but first recourse for a fish in distress is a water test and water change.
If skin is milky/slimy- will be brooklynella which is a known and typical clown disease
Give the fish a freshwater dip which they respond to well and see how it looks thereafter
Increase oxygen also if you’re able to?
Has it been eating prior to today?
Please let us know what your readings are:
Ammonia
Nitrate
Temperature
Salinity
Ph

OP
OP
I

iAmARomeoSF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be helpful if you video wasn't so far away, hard to really see whats he's doing. But my clown will sometimes lay at the bottom of the tank. He did it for most of the day yesterday, now today he's swimming around. His habits can be odd from time to time.

How many days has he been laying in that spot?
He is quite active during eating time just seems to rest at the bottom a lot of the time... its part of a pair they used to be inseparable but now they swim together sometimes and other times the bigger one hovering near the surface and the smaller near the bottom...

OP
OP
I

iAmARomeoSF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
Can’t open video but first recourse for a fish in distress is a water test and water change.
If skin is milky/slimy- will be brooklynella which is a known and typical clown disease
Give the fish a freshwater dip which they respond to well and see how it looks thereafter
Increase oxygen also if you’re able to?
Has it been eating prior to today?
Please let us know what your readings are:
Ammonia
Nitrate
Temperature
Salinity
Ph
What are good ways to increase oxygen?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
W

What are good ways to increase oxygen?
Sporting goods at Walmart- they sell a battery operated air pump with air stone under $10
Also handy for power outages

OP
OP
I

iAmARomeoSF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is quite active during eating time just seems to rest at the bottom a lot of the time... its part of a pair they used to be inseparable but now they swim together sometimes and other times the bigger one hovering near the surface and the smaller near the bottom...
Here is a better quality video of the clown in question... he seems to be doing just fine now though its only sometimes that he rest and tilts sideways on the bed of the tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back