Help controlling this coral. Is becoming a weed!

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all...let me just say that I feel a bit awkward asking for this help. However, I didn't realize this coral was gong to take over my tank. In any case its spreading all over the place and I was just wondering how any of you deal with it. Do you just cut it at the base. I've done that and it takes time but it grows back. Any other suggestions.?

IMG_20210502_183435.jpg
Help

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes ,manually remove,can use rubble against bases ,wait until attaches then remove base and all.. if cutting in tank ,run some extra carbon.. :)

OP
OP
S

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly can't remember what this coral is. I can take close up shots if you'd like. However, I'm gonna recommend to stay away from this one. It literally buds off and I have it everywhere....I mean its like aptasia!

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is definitely a Kenya Tree. I have the same problem as you do... I wait for them to drop branches and pull them out before they have time to attach anywhere. I have pulled multiple large ones by their base, but unless you get every single bit, they will grow back - quickly. Personally, I’m planning to get rid of the entire rock they’re on. I have plenty of “frags” at this point if I ever want them back.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix a little Kalkwasser powder and a little bit of RO into a paste first. Pull off what you can from the rock and then with a small syringe squirt a small amount of Kalk paste on the tissue remaining on the rock. This should burn off the tissue so it cant regrow. Works for xenia, other hostile softies, and other encrusting corals... encrusting montis are another coral that sounds good until it starts to cover the entire rock and push other corals off.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this spreads is it branching out and spreading or are limbs breaking off and re-depositing around the tank? If it’s the former it could be some type of paralemnalia or cladelia species both of which will be more tricky to remove

OP
OP
S

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the others nailed it with Kenya Tree. And yes the "limbs" are breaking off and getting deposited around the tank. This friggin thing is a dang weed!!!!

OP
OP
S

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I did it. I crossed my fingers and literally tore all the kenya out of my tank. I am now running some carbon and I hope all goes well. I am sure there are a few small "frags" left somewhere I can't get to. But I couldn't take it anymore.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back