Help! Coral losing color and dying

Omarons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers ! Need your help !

My tank has been doing great for a number of months ! Everyone was saying it was beautiful, everything was coloring nicely and growing really well. However secretly I’ve been battling with high phosphates 0.2 which I was fixing with 50% water changes every week.

In anticipation with some personal changes , I added an algea reactor and a GFO reactor on the tank to help me fight the phosphate.

Algea was growing ok , for 2 months and nitrates were close to 1 ppm but phosphates we’re still high . So I decided to increase the reactor lighting period , and start dosing iron and nitrate to the tank to feed the Chaeto and decrease phosphates
Since starting dosing iron and nitrate , some coral have started to lose color and brown out, and some died out completely, I’m attaching pictures of corals before and after .
Is the problem with dosing nitrate and iron ?

Is the problem with dosing nitrate and iron ?
I stopped dosing nitrate and iron last week, but need recommendations on stop the discoloration , while at the same time continue to feed the Chaeto to decrease the phosphate.

Salinity 10.26

Alk 10.5

Ca 480

PO4 0.16

Nitrate 3 ppm

lighting hydra 26

Chaeto reactor, harvest Chaeto every 2 weeks

GFO reactor

32 gallon biocube

Aquamaxx hob 1.5 protein skimmer

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t chase numbers. Slow and steady. Corals like stability so every time you make a change they will need to adjust. To many changes at once is never a good thing. KISS no need to dose if your doing 10% weekly water changes. There are no quick fixes, let your tank mature.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back