Help!!!! Corals are melted and feather duster is out of its tube!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just because

An article about the ocean which has no bearing on the hobby since we can measure and adjust the levels if need be.

In the ocean one can not simply turn down the heater to stop the stress of nitrite poisoning. If you actually read the article you posted, the high nitrite was also in conjuction with thermal stress.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Then don't put out miss information and you will not have to be corrected

1. Nitrate above 20 ppm can be harmful

2. Any nitrite at all is harmful

3. if you actually look at the chart is shows various environments compared to natural reef

4. Good luck but telling a newcomer any of what you said is only going to help them fail not succeed

5. Go reread what you wrote you might be mixing up nitrate and nitrite but I refer you to 1 and 2
1. Show me that. All the livestock in my tanks are fine and I just measured one at 42ppm. And that's significantly lower than its been in years.

2. Not really (in saltwater) see this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nitrite-toxicity.402708/post-4805029

3. Natural reef? Which one? Where? When? Under what conditions? Who cares? We don't keep natural reefs anyways. All this tells you is that those parameters are fine, not that they are necessary or even inherently best.

4. I agree with that, this thread really spun off

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

1. Show me that. All the livestock in my tanks are fine and I just measured one at 42ppm. And that's significantly lower than its been in years.

2. Not really (in saltwater) see this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nitrite-toxicity.402708/post-4805029

3. Natural reef? Which one? Where? When? Under what conditions? Who cares? We don't keep natural reefs anyways. All this tells you is that those parameters are fine, not that they are necessary or even inherently best.

4. I agree with that, this thread really spun off
Don't feed the trolls. It makes them think they are stronger.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An article about the ocean which has no bearing on the hobby since we can measure and adjust the levels if need be.

In the ocean one can not simply turn down the heater to stop the stress of nitrite poisoning. If you actually read the article you posted, the high nitrite was also in conjuction with thermal stress.
Just one of many and yes I did read it and if you think you know betrer then nature then by all means be that person

Peace I'm out done banging my head against a brick wall when u all hit old tank syndrom and can't figure out why have fun

And was only showing that what your saying is very inaccurate and going to lead every newcomer that follows your plan and examples to failer

It's people like you that drive away most newcomers and make them think reef keeping is impossible for them.

If I had people follow the way I run my tanks they would also fail which is very close to ocean parameters off the coast of Indonesia

For example I can tell you within a few ppm what my levels of everything are just by looking at the tank have not tested this one since 30 days after I set it up and at the 1 year mark had labs ran to verify I was on point still tank is due for its yearly exam here soon

(Color is to bright to much nitrogen shrooms are ticked not enoff for example)

Can a average person do this no just like most people with nitrates above 20 ppm without aclimating the fish and coral slowly to that high of an environment will see bleaching caused by stress and in alot of cases melting just like not enoff nutrients in the water

And horable algae outbreaks

Does it work for you mabey is it Hobbie standered when first starting out

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melev was running his reef at very high nitrates for a long time and crashed it out when he tried to lower too quickly. Everyone's little ecosystem is different.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one of many and yes I did read it and if you think you know betrer then nature then by all means be that person

Peace I'm out done banging my head against a brick wall when u all hit old tank syndrom and can't figure out why have fun

And was only showing that what your saying is very inaccurate and going to lead every newcomer that follows your plan and examples to failer

It's people like you that drive away most newcomers and make them think reef keeping is impossible for them.

If I had people follow the way I run my tanks they would also fail which is very close to ocean parameters off the coast of Indonesia

For example I can tell you within a few ppm what my levels of everything are just by looking at the tank have not tested this one since 30 days after I set it up and at the 1 year mark had labs ran to verify I was on point still tank is due for its yearly exam here soon

(Color is to bright to much nitrogen shrooms are ticked not enoff for example)

Can a average person do this no just like most people with nitrates above 20 ppm without aclimating the fish and coral slowly to that high of an environment will see bleaching caused by stress and in alot of cases melting just like not enoff nutrients in the water

And horable algae outbreaks

Does it work for you mabey is it Hobbie standered when first starting out

ABSOLUTELY NOT
ugh, you were doing so well until now:

turn down the typos, shorten and have less separated points, otherwise it becomes too obvious and the conversation becomes less funny, like when you over-explain a joke. I hope this helps

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remember the last time I tested nitrites, don't think I even have a test kit! I wonder what ever happened to the OPs corals.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back