Help.. corals covered in green algea

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, 2 of my coral which i thought died starting to show signs of life... but it badly covered in green algae..
20211024_022014.jpg
20211024_022149.jpg

What can i do to safely remove them without harming the corals? Thanks.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would tweezer and 2 minute peroxide bath or spray. The polyps would likely be unscathed but the blasto(?) I'm not sure. Either way it would need to be repeated on a regular weekly/monthly basis because that crap it just going to grow back.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would tweezer and 2 minute peroxide bath or spray. The polyps would likely be unscathed but the blasto(?) I'm not sure. Either way it would need to be repeated on a regular weekly/monthly basis because that crap it just going to grow back.
Thanks, thanks. Any suggestions on the dosage of peroxide that I should use? One is a acan and the other one I believe is a blasto. I also have a scoly and a small brain on which I starting to see some green on the skeleton.. should the dosage be the same for all?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use peroxide on lps. Both of those appear to be lps coming back from the dead. They cannot tolerate it well.

Tweezers and a toothbrush will go a long way and hopefully a cuc can finish it up.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify neither of those pictures are of zoas or palys. The top appears to be an acan that needs some light. The bottom i think acan or favia. For the scoly and brain you mentioned...again dont use a peroxide dip on any of those.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use peroxide on lps. Both of those appear to be lps coming back from the dead. They cannot tolerate it well.

Tweezers and a toothbrush will go a long way and hopefully a cuc can finish it up.
I'll assume you have experience with those specific corals but generalizing 'lps' is incorrect. I have used peroxide on euphyllia many times for exactly this type of algae infestation in exactly the way I suggested (full 3% spray with 2 minute contact, rinse and return to the tank). They get iritated but are fully open by the next day. The algae turns white and distintegrates and gives the coral a chance.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks... appreciate the help.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify neither of those pictures are of zoas or palys. The top appears to be an acan that needs some light. The bottom i think acan or favia. For the scoly and brain you mentioned...again dont use a peroxide dip on any of those.
Thanks for the warning..

Back