Help! Corals dying..Old and new Dinos, cyano? salinty drops a few times plus alk but cant beat whatever is growing in my tank!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at my wits end! I have had something in my tank for about 8 months and cant get rid of it. At one point it was everywhere on glass sand rocks corals and killed half of them. I started blowing off corals and rocks stirring up sand and i thought it was gone so I added a bunch of new expensive corals. Not only did most of them die but my older remaining ones that were fine through the dinos are dying as well. I only have 2 left that arent softies. They seem to be uneffected! . What ever killed them seems too have stopped I did have salinty drop a little down to 1023 then gradually upped to 1026 then fell again (long story) now that is all over so maybe thats what killed my older corals. The new ones I received were delivered in a bad way and I waited until the end of the night to put them in tank(stupid)

I added 2 small wattage uv sterilizers to 10 gallon sump of 36 gallon tank. One is 11 watts and one is 10 watts I also increased the 2 xs a week dosing of mb7 and vibrant to every night alternating nights with each type. Could the dosing of that stuff be killing my corals?

I pretty much get why a lot of the new corals died, being they were delivered with skeltons showing ect. but why would my old ones die unless it was salinity rising and falling 2 x's or increasing dosing to every night! What ever I have in tank Dinos, cyano) is better and only on glass now. All my parameters are good but not sure where to go from here! The everyday dosing and the uvs hasnt got rid of it completely. Its a redish film on glass and wavemakers . Its not stringy or snotty like dinos, no bubbles except on film on glass but chemiclean does nothing! I manual removed it all and add chemiclean and it comes right back while chemiclean is still in tank!

It all started when I dosed nopox a while back and over didi it when I should have just did a waterchange after no3 was down to 10! Po3 went down to 0 after dosing that! I dosed po3 for a while to get it back up. Its now at .011 I have been feeding more so nitrates and phospates would probably be very high if I wasnt doing the bacteria's!. What the heck do I do now? I dont know if I should keep up the every night dosing! How can I Identify what it is? It has gotten better and looks like the deaths are over. Oh, and I was moving corals around, drilling holes, trying to catch a fish ect and have hands in tank alot but my older corals were used to that and I had stopped once I got the new ones Definitely wont be adding anything new until its all gone(if it everleaves) It aslo maybe better because iI turned the lights down.so maybe it isnt working at all! So confused. My lights were stuck on all blues for 5 days until yesterday and when I turned them back up I noticed it starting back on sand! Can lights fuel the growth? Maybe its just algae but it nevers gets long like algae does! I am baffled and need advice! Appreciate any!

Sorry I wrote a journal! LOL

Should I try bubble scrubbing or would that be to rough on corals? I also have dinox but scared to use it! Would be willing to try any other plan just scared to loose what new corals dis survie (wasnt many) and mostly softies as well!

I have had alk rise and fall a little. I shouldnt need to dose since frags are small but it was falling so I started dosin then it got high then backed down. then fell again! It cant decide whether I need to dose or not because sometimes it maintains for a long time. Sometimes it dosnt! Does dinos consume alk? Help me Please! Cant take much more!

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of this red film algae, also, are you using any equipment to keep things stable, like ATO, dosing pumps an the like. Remember, stability is key, and those few pieces of equipment will help with a lot of those issues. Also, are you mixing your own water, or are you buying it from a LFS?

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back