HELP! Cracked corner of glass on tank

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to put my glass lid back on top of my tank and I smacked the glass lid on my tank and it left a crack in the corner of the tank. I have no idea what to do and am freaking out. I really don’t want to replace the tank for a tiny crack. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_5430.MOV
    27.4 MB

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to buy a new tank. That crack will probably grow even if you repair it with a glass patch (which will look pretty terrible). Just get a new tank.

Sorry!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends where the crack is, picture doesn’t load for me. If it’s in the top corner and ‘contained’ it’ll likely be fine. If it has the opportunity to ‘run’ then it won’t.

OP
OP
AllAmericanReefs

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends where the crack is, picture doesn’t load for me. If it’s in the top corner and ‘contained’ it’ll likely be fine. If it has the opportunity to ‘run’ then it won’t.
yeah that's exactly where it is. And it's a video so sorry if it's not loading for you

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a photo. A crack is bad but a scallop is not. Can’t get your video to load.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the crack is at the very top and there’s no place for it to run, the tank is unlikely to fail. Depending upon how big you may get some leakage or salt creep. Whether you replace the tank or not is up to you of course.

floatchop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that stinks! That crack will continue, its only a matter of time. How long? Who knows. Any temp changes and the wave pumps are going to help it along.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the video the crack goes through the seam into the glass panel. It'll get worse so you'll need to make plans for a new tank. Sorry OP.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could reduce water by a couple of inches (or as much water as possible) this will reduce pressure of water against the aquarium glass (I assume glass)
You could possibly try super glue to internal and external of glass but this only a quick fix, you could use plastering tape for joints to hold together along with super glue.
Unfortunately your aquarium glass is comprised and will need replacing

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im with everyone else here, replace ASAP you never know when water will start leaking with that, and it will at some point

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back