Help! Critter ID

Oceanstide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help identifying this Critter. It seems to throw out a similar web as a Vermetid Snail but this one has a white shell and does not look like a Vermetid snail. Is it good or bad?? Do I get rid of it?
Or could it be a very big Vermited snail?
56491E8F-6D16-4818-8AE1-DD3B5DDC5D8C.jpeg
E9E17297-0303-40CE-A9A9-DB5159C1466B.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a relatively large Vermetid snail to me. I'm not sure on the species, but that tube is very unique (if you could get a clear, closer up pic, that may help with the ID, given the unique tube). Vermetids are generally considered pests, as they reportedly sometimes irritate corals. However, it likely depends on the coral and the vermetid species, as some people have pics of their corals growing over the vermetids and doing just fine. I've never heard of rapid spreading with the larger species, but they seem to be much rarer than the smaller ones, and people tend to remove them as soon as they see them - so they might just not be in the tanks long enough to spread like the smaller ones.

Most people would say to take it out, though some consider them harmless, and I know at least one person that considers them somewhat beneficial.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back