Help diagnose my White Tail Kole Tang please

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,

I hope someone can help. I have had this White Tail Kole Tang in QT for 8 days and it has been seeming fine until this morning. It has some white spots on both sides of its body but they seem much larger than Ich.

Its been eating frozen mysis without issue, i have started to feed nori this morning, (missing my QT nori clip so been going without)

water params dont seem terrible.

Sal - 1.025
Ph - 8.1
Ammonia - .2 (this is a little high - addressing with AmGuard)
temp - 74 (heater failed overnight, replaced with a back up this morning and coming up to temp now to 78)

Any help is welcome. There are some damsels and a mandarin and a scooter in there as well, all seem fine.

2022-07-06_11-26-37.png 2022-07-06_11-26-55.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins and scooters are tough to manage in a bare QT unless they are already feeding on prepared foods.
Damsels and Tangs do best with a preventative process - copper then prazi over 45 days. So - you may be in a bind here mixing the two groups of fish.
The white spots are too large to be ich, could be minor injury of fluke damage.
What ammonia test are you using?
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,

I hope someone can help. I have had this White Tail Kole Tang in QT for 8 days and it has been seeming fine until this morning. It has some white spots on both sides of its body but they seem much larger than Ich.

Its been eating frozen mysis without issue, i have started to feed nori this morning, (missing my QT nori clip so been going without)

water params dont seem terrible.

Sal - 1.025
Ph - 8.1
Ammonia - .2 (this is a little high - addressing with AmGuard)
temp - 74 (heater failed overnight, replaced with a back up this morning and coming up to temp now to 78)

Any help is welcome. There are some damsels and a mandarin and a scooter in there as well, all seem fine.

2022-07-06_11-26-37.png 2022-07-06_11-26-55.png
Can't enlarge the pictures for some reason - so it's difficult to see exactly what you mean - I see some 'white areas' - which seem too large to be CI or velvet. What are you treating with in your QT? Are your other parameters ok? Did you do a freshwater dip - was there any injury with netting, etc

EDIT - Jay posted while I was - sorry for the repeat

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins and scooters are tough to manage in a bare QT unless they are already feeding on prepared foods.
Damsels and Tangs do best with a preventative process - copper then prazi over 45 days. So - you may be in a bind here mixing the two groups of fish.
The white spots are too large to be ich, could be minor injury of fluke damage.
What ammonia test are you using?
Jay

I've been feeding pods and live brine into the QT and canned cyclops for the mandarin and scooter, they seem to be ok so far.

I have not been dosing anything yet, just observing as i hve heard that fish like mandarins dont do well with Copper.

Ammonia test is Red Sea.

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't enlarge the pictures for some reason - so it's difficult to see exactly what you mean - I see some 'white areas' - which seem too large to be CI or velvet. What are you treating with in your QT? Are your other parameters ok? Did you do a freshwater dip - was there any injury with netting, etc

EDIT - Jay posted while I was - sorry for the repeat
Not testing other params in QT, should I?

Did not do a freshwater dip

no injury that i could see form netting or other, the fish looked perfect.

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm,

The temp has stabilized at 77. All the white spots are gone, would it have been stress form cold temp?

Attachments

• 2022-07-06_13-50-30.png
    2022-07-06_13-50-30.png
    671.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 2022-07-06_13-50-46.png
    2022-07-06_13-50-46.png
    776.3 KB · Views: 24

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm,

The temp has stabilized at 77. All the white spots are gone, would it have been stress form cold temp?
Let's wait and see what it looks like tomorrow:). I certainly does not look like ICH - it could be a temporary color change from the temp. Would watch carefully

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - thanks for the update

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not testing other params in QT, should I?

Did not do a freshwater dip

no injury that i could see form netting or other, the fish looked perfect.
I meant copper. If you're using it:)

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your fish doing these days? Any updated photos?
Unfortunately, the fish didnt make it, but not because of this.

It seemed it was related to stress, after a day it looked perfect. I kept it in quarantine with some others for 4 weeks to observe. This is my first real quarantine set up/experience and I have been reading lots about observational quarantine (no preventative meds) which makes a lot of sense to me. My plan was to observe and if there are no signs of sickness or disease then after 4 weeks move them to the DT. There are lots of articles and posts about this being adequate and less stressful fro the fish.

I waited 4 weeks and added the tang and the others to the DT and 2 weeks later had an Ich outbreak. So I started moving them all back out to QT but it was too late, all fish are now dead other than my Mandarin which i can not catch no matter what I try. So, my fallow period can not begin until that Mandarin is out

So, I've learned a couple hard lessons on this one. The main one being that observational QT is not effective. The other being that I cant do another ich outbreak. This is my second in a year and I've had it. Been looking at pre-quarantined fish but prices are outrageous. I might need to invest in a UV sterilizer which isnt a fix but I'm starting to feel like there is too much margin potential for somethgin to go wrong. Even when you do your research there are lots of factors that can derail you.

I guess I had a lot to say about this lol. I think Ive been harboring some bad feelings about this experience and no Salty friends in person to vent to..

In earnest, thanks for following up and asking!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back