Help Diagnose? White spot on Tang dorsal fin.

Jontan423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang is healthy and fine, normal behavior, just unaware what that small white spot is... Want to be able to treat if something serious.

20210620_103221.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks like it is possibly an injury, not a primary infection. However, some background information is important to know. Here is a post that outlines some of the information that is helpful to know about your fish and the tank:

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jontan423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks like it is possibly an injury, not a primary infection. However, some background information is important to know. Here is a post that outlines some of the information that is helpful to know about your fish and the tank:

Jay
Hello thanks!

It is a 180 gallon reef. Been established for 4 years now, the Orange shoulder tang was bought from an lfs about a month ago. The dimple was there but it wasnt white like it is now. I feed mysis and nori in two small feedings a day.

Upvote 0

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange shoulder is like a (friendly) bull in a china shop, constantly knocking into stuff, flipping over frag racks, and just generally busting up stuff in my frag system. Small lacerations were common.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jontan423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just more concerned of it being hlle because I've never had that happen before so I'm not to sure how to diagnose the early stages.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jontan423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange shoulder is like a (friendly) bull in a china shop, constantly knocking into stuff, flipping over frag racks, and just generally busting up stuff in my frag system. Small lacerations were common.
Exactly how mine was when I brought it home! Broke a chunk out of my monti

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just more concerned of it being hlle because I've never had that happen before so I'm not to sure how to diagnose the early stages.
That's not HLLE. As long as the lesion doesn't grow, or start up in new spots, you should be o.k. The other issue is - if this is a bacterial infection (likely) you would need a treatment tank to dose antibiotics in.

Jay

Upvote 0

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boys will be boys. Orange Shoulder tangs will be Orange Shoulder tangs. Definitely one of my favorite fishes. Beauty, utility and personality.

Until @Jay Hemdal says you gotta do something about it just keep feeding the beast well and relax. When he says "act now" then you do so.

IMG-5206.jpg

Upvote 0
Back