Help Diagnosing ‘burnt’ tips of Birds Nest?

saxplaya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I’ve seen similar posts but I am not sure they exactly apply here.

I’ve had my birds next for 9mo or so and it’s grown a lot! I’ve noticed recently these bare new growth sections which are either tips or the top. I turned down my light a few points this morning thinking maybe it’s burn but I wanted to post so someone with more experience can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

78836605-AF9C-4305-BB62-14D1936BC8E7.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common reason is usually an alk swing. How are your parameters? Can you post them for us?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those aren't burnt tips - it's dead tissue / RTN.

Most likely cause in a Birdsnest is not alk swings, IMO, but phosphate dives or nitrate surges.

OP
OP
S

saxplaya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any changes in levels as far as phosphates or nitrates. They have been very stable.

I don’t have an alk measurement but that’s next on my list to get a Hanna meter.

last check my levels were: pH 8.1, NO2 0, NO3 2-3, Po4 ~.5, Sal 1.025 and I didn’t write down the calcium level but it was in the middle of the ideal reef tank range.

All other corals are happy for the most part save a new blue candy cane which isn’t puffed out as much as my nuclear but it’s also been bumped once or twice.

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

saxplaya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, ordered a Hanna DKH meter and checked today.

It's 5.4 so clearly low.

Any recommendations on slowly bringing this up? I just am starting to get into checking the trace elements/dosing all-for-reef.

OP
OP
S

saxplaya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise it by 1 dKH per day. Dosing sodium bicarbonate or Kalkwasser are common methods.
I'm going to go to a local LFS and get some Bicarbonate most likely and get it up and then figure out what my daily consumption is and work out a routine for that.

Does anyone dose this into their ATO tank daily as a dosing method? I haven't gotten any dosing pumps or into that equipment at this point and I don't have room for another reactor at the moment with my current setup so I'll either have to dump into the tank or am wondering if the ATO will give me a method of doing this and I just integrate adding the powder mix into pitchers of RODI water as I fill my ATO reservoir.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go to a local LFS and get some Bicarbonate most likely and get it up and then figure out what my daily consumption is and work out a routine for that.

Does anyone dose this into their ATO tank daily as a dosing method? I haven't gotten any dosing pumps or into that equipment at this point and I don't have room for another reactor at the moment with my current setup so I'll either have to dump into the tank or am wondering if the ATO will give me a method of doing this and I just integrate adding the powder mix into pitchers of RODI water as I fill my ATO reservoir.
Just pour it into an area of high flow.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back