Help diagnosing tank!!

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new fish last saturday, a black and white chromis and I think it gave something to the rest of my fish! I noticed it last night there were white spots on that fish and the black cap that were much more noticeable than today. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures last night. I can see some specks on ones that have clear fins. Other than the flame tail blenny flashing all the fish are acting normal they are eating just as eagerly as normal. Just wanting another opinion before moving them to qt tank that is set up and ready to start copper treatment. Hopefully these pictures help and video. Thank you on advance!

20221202_161051.jpg
20221202_161113.jpg
20221202_161128.jpg
20221202_161149.jpg
20221202_161151.jpg
20221202_161120.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich to me.
The damsel also seems to have some damaged fins.
Do you have the ability to treat for ich in a hospital tank?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree with jay on ih. Ich looks like someone took a salt shaker to the fish and in your case is the appearance.
Now for the not so good news. . . You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich to me.
The damsel also seems to have some damaged fins.
Do you have the ability to treat for ich in a hospital tank?

Jay
The fins were not damaged when I brought it home not sure if the ich caused it. I haven't seen him harassed at all.
Agree with jay on ih. Ich looks like someone took a salt shaker to the fish and in your case is the appearance.
Now for the not so good news. . . You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Yes I have a tank set up that I already dosed up to 1 ppm with copper power and checked with the Hanna copper tester and will ramp up to theraputic level. The tank has a seachem ammonia badge and has an internal power filter and powerhead that are both pointed at the surface. I have everything ready I just wanted another opinion on what it was before I started copper treatment. Should I ramp it as fast as I would with velvet or can I take a couple more days to bring it up?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fins were not damaged when I brought it home not sure if the ich caused it. I haven't seen him harassed at all.

Yes I have a tank set up that I already dosed up to 1 ppm with copper power and checked with the Hanna copper tester and will ramp up to theraputic level. The tank has a seachem ammonia badge and has an internal power filter and powerhead that are both pointed at the surface. I have everything ready I just wanted another opinion on what it was before I started copper treatment. Should I ramp it as fast as I would with velvet or can I take a couple more days to bring it up?

You can 1/2 dose and 24 hours the second dose. It really depends on how bad off they are, I tend to raise 1/4 dose every 12 hours .

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can 1/2 dose and 24 hours the second dose. It really depends on how bad off they are, I tend to raise 1/4 dose every 12 hours .
I moved them to qt last night im sure it was stressful I know I was streess. I had to pull most the rock to get everything out. They didn't look bad last night haven't had a chance yet this morning to give a look over. I was leaning toward a slower ramp like you said.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved them to qt last night im sure it was stressful I know I was streess. I had to pull most the rock to get everything out. They didn't look bad last night haven't had a chance yet this morning to give a look over. I was leaning toward a slower ramp like you said.
If I have a good copper test kit, I get to a full dose with two additions - I do a half dose (by calculating the water volume) and then wait a few hours and test the water. If the test comes back at a half dose, then I know I have it dialed in and I add the second half dose.

Jay

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a good copper test kit, I get to a full dose with two additions - I do a half dose (by calculating the water volume) and then wait a few hours and test the water. If the test comes back at a half dose, then I know I have it dialed in and I add the second half dose.

Jay
My qt is a 10 gallon, I got to .91 using a Hanna checker with a 5 mL dose. I will probably add the rest over the course of the day today

Back