Help - Everybody's Flashing

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted here about a month or two ago about clowns showing some flashing behavior. I did a freshwater dip and didn't see any signs of flukes, and I haven't seen any visible signs of ich. All of my fish and corals in the tank came from a single dealer that does quarantine and prophylactic treatment for ich and velvet. I haven't done separate quarantine.

Tonight I saw that all of the fish are aggressively flashing except for my foxface - this includes a couple wrasses, a pair of clowns, a firefish and a royal gramma. I don't see any signs of ich on the fish. The latest fish to be added were the wrasses and the firefish, which went in the tank a week ago.

I've been having issues with a ton red cyano on my sand bed. Yesterday I did a 10-15% water change and vacuumed the sand bed heavily. I stirred up a lot of stuff. I'm hoping that this is the likely cause. I run a skimmer, a filter sock and have a media cup filled with carbon. The carbon was changed about 5 days ago.

I have prazi. Could I dose it as a precaution? Should I wait and observe a couple of days? Any thoughts? If it matters, I also have some corals - a couple blasto, a birds nest a duncan and a torch. None of them seem to be affected by the heavy sand vacuuming.

pH 8.0-8.2 throughout the day
Alk 9.1
NO3 2
PO4 0.02
Ammonia 0
Salinity 33ppt

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
its a sign of skin irritation. Flashing is a sure behavior of velvet. If your seeing nothing. other possibilities are:
high ammonia levels in the water, extreme pH or residual chlorine in the water due to ineffective or absent tapwater conditioning or non-use of rodi water. Many fish in general Fish will do this as a way of dislodging food from rocks within your tank but does seem to be your case. Without obvious signs of an irritant and if they are eating and breathing normally, I would try treating with general cure which will cover an array of issues. . . But do inspect every fish daily for changes, irritants or heavy breathing.
I suspect flukes although you did FW bath. Did you do FW for at least 5 mins?

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, I would try treating with general cure which will cover an array of issues. . . But do inspect every fish daily for changes, irritants or heavy breathing.
What general cure would you recommend? I have only prazi and maracyn 2 that I got for my Fw tank. I don’t want to nuke my bacteria unnecessarily.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back