HELP! Female clown with bursted belly

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’ve had her for years. She lays eggs all the time and it seems like it’s catching up to her. I have no clue what to do. She is acting fine and eating, rubbing against her anemone. She has a belly full of eggs. I know there’s probably zero I can do and I’m hoping Mother Nature just does what she needs to do and she will be ok. She’s absolutely beautiful.

D06FE60C-BD30-4C43-A19B-67C90DDAC12F.jpeg

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. um.. Ok.. So get a hospital tank setup immediately and get her in there. Use water from the main tank and have plenty of water on hand to do regular water changes.

You will want to treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Myaracyn 2 and/or Paraguard or StressGuard to try and stave off any infection. If shes active and eating chances are decent that she'll make it.

Good luck.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like she got cut on a rock or something else sharp. id have to agree with the above get her in a save place so she can heal by herself. do you have an meds on hand?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree that it looks more like a cut. Anything sharp in there she may have gotten hurt on?
Hope she heals up for you.

OP
OP
Clownreef

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

I won’t get her out now. She needs to start laying those eggs ASAP so then I can better check the cut. Getting her our will stress her more since she will have nowhere to lay her eggs. Don’t want to do that. As far as a sharp object goes no. She’s on her anemone with her partner all day long. As far i can tell they’ll she will start laying them today. They’re already obsessively cleaning the base of the rock where they lay all the time.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a plain clay pot in the hospital tank and she'll lay them there. The bigger issue is the wound getting worse from the nem stinging her there. That can lead to a nasty infection.

OP
OP
Clownreef

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s amazing. To be quite honest I’ve seen her day in and out for the past 5 years every single Day. She’s acting as normal as ever like it ain’t a thang. I don’t know what to make or her lol. I knew getting her out of her home would have been a mistake. She was going to start laying any minute. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s amazing. To be quite honest I’ve seen her day in and out for the past 5 years every single Day. She’s acting as normal as ever like it ain’t a thang. I don’t know what to make or her lol. I knew getting her out of her home would have been a mistake. She was going to start laying any minute. I’ll keep y’all posted.

My female clown just had an open wound. Not as bad a that of course! I just watched it and it healed up quickly.

I have no idea what you do for that kind of wound though. Guess you can't suture her up :-/

I really hope she makes it. Love her and I don't even know her!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is beautiful and she'll be fine. I have a 12 year old mated pair of maroons and they've been through the ringer of situations I thought were dire and they just pull the "here we are",

OP
OP
Clownreef

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is beautiful and she'll be fine. I have a 12 year old mated pair of maroons and they've been through the ringer of situations I thought were dire and they just pull the "here we are",

She's a champ...laying her eggs like she has many times before.

OP
OP
Clownreef

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning update:

she laid all of her eggs and her belly is back to normal size. The opening isn't stretching out anymore which Im hoping will heal soon. She's eating like a shark and acting 100% normal.

Something tells me this is a common occurrence with clownfish that lay eggs all the time. Ill keep a close eye on her.

Thank you all that chimed in. She's a little beast!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back