Help finalising stock list for 750XXL

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I've recently acquired a Reefer 750XXL (71"x26"x24") it kinda fell in my lap and wasn't a planned (but certainly not an unwelcome) upgrade and as such I've never considered stocking a tank this large.

The current stock, moved over from my existing mixed reef:
Coral beauty
Melanarus Wrasse
McCosker Wrasse
Purple dottyback
Royal Gramma
Orange spot goby
Pair of Occelaris clowns
Lawn mower blenny
Fire shrimp
CUC: 2x Tuxedo Urchins, Turbos, Ceriths, Mithrax crab and a few electric blue hermits

Proposed additions....
6x Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias, Pseudanthias squamipinnis OR 5x Square Back Anthias, Pseudanthias pleurotaenia
1x Yellow Wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus
2x Fairy Wrasse, exact sp TBD based on local availability iaw with this https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/
1x Sand Sifting Goby, either a Diamond or Tiger.
1x Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Ctenochaetus strigosus
1x Purple Tang Zebrasoma, xanthurum
1x Powder Blue Acanthurus, leucosternon (on the fence with this)

Maybes? Depending on peoples thoughts regarding compatibility and bioload capacity.
1x Regal angel
1x Harlequin tusk, Choerodon fasciatus
1x Black-backed Wrasse, Anampses neoguinaicus
1x Radiant Wrasse, Halichoeres iridis

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1602518869455.png

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank. Based on measurements its about 191 gallons. You have suggested too many fish for a tank less than 200g’s. I like to follow the following rule of thumb.....191g’sx .85(15% water displacement )= 162 /3 (target 3 gallons per inch of ADULT size fish)= 54 inches of adult size fish. Using this methodology, I’m sure you can see that your list is very high and will only cause issues as time goes on. Perhaps you want to consider using this guideline.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OllieNZ

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank. Based on measurements its about 191 gallons. You have suggested too many fish for a tank less than 200g’s. I like to follow the following rule of thumb.....191g’sx .85(15% water displacement )= 162 /3 (target 3 gallons per inch of ADULT size fish)= 54 inches of adult size fish. Using this methodology, I’m sure you can see that your list is very high and will only cause issues as time goes on. Perhaps you want to consider using this guideline.
What's the basis behind that particular method? I thought inch per gallon rules were considered outmoded?

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the basis behind that particular method? I thought inch per gallon rules were considered outmoded?
Its a guide or a rule of thumb as mentioned as there is no full proof method. Much has to do with the type of fish as a 10 inch trigger will produce more bio load than 10-1 inch neon gobies as an example. You certainly have to take allot into consideration but the 3 gallons per inch rule has served me well. In my opinion, and its just that my opinion, the 3 gal/1inch guidance will serve you well for the fish On your list except the Tusk who carries a rather large bio load. I know of many long time and new aquarist who use this as a guide, give or take.

Back