Help finish a reef build with a Reefer Deluxe 425xl

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

First time poster here and I had a couple questions I was hoping someone could help with. I am in the process of setting up a reef tank in a commercial space and have decided to go with the Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 425xl. It already comes with the tank, sump, stand, lighting, and ATO, however, I am now attempting to figure out which parts to buy to complete the system. As it stands I have selected the following:

Tank: Reefer Deluxe XL 425 System (88 gal) - Red Sea
Lighting: Hydra 26 HD LED lighting (included with Deluxe Reefer purchase)
Return Pump: VARIOS-4 Controllable DC Pump (1050 GPH)
Power Heads: 2x Turbelle Nanostream 6055 Controllable (250-1450GPH)
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS 6: Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer
Heater: Eheim Jager Aquarium heater

Now, I realize I will need to purchase some sand and rock and things but was going to go to my LFS for that. I just wanted to put this out here before I order all of them from Bulk Reef Supply to make sure I am picking quality items that will work well together. Thank you in advance for your help!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! All of the items you mentioned are from great manufacturers. The only item you might consider upgrading from your list is the return pump. If you ever want to run a reactor or other device off the return pump you're not going to have enough overhead. Other than that, I think the list looks great.

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on you new tank :) I agree all the item you listed are quality products and you won't be disappointed. I also have the same tank but went witha vectra M1 return and MP40's for my 2 power heads. I later wanted to add a pump for reactors so I added a S1 pump but I'm thinking it is to small. You should be happy with what you have picked out but might want to consider upgrading the return pump as @TheEngineer mentioned above! I wish you the best with your new journey ;)

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 450. You're going to love it. The only thing on your list that I'm not a fan of it the heater. I have the Eheim and I've found it to be unreliable in its heating cycle (it cycles on too late and shuts off too late, so the temp swings) and it is sooooooo massively long. It barely fits in my sump. The first critique doesn't matter if you're going to get a controller or some kind though. With that heater I would recommend a controller of some kind, even one of the $40 Inkbird ones. The Ehaim using an older thermostat system that uses two metal wires that expand and contract with temp changes. When the temp drops too far, they contact each other, completing the circuit and turning the heater on. However, over time these contacts can stick and leave the heater on and cook your fish. I think it's fine as a backup heater, and to be fair, you'll find a ton of people on this forum that use it as a primary without a controller...but I just don't trust them. For a similar price I would look at the Finnex HPG 300. it's smaller, has a digital temperature reading, external temp probe, and a little button next to the plug to change the temp so you don't have you reach into your tank to do so. Bulk Reef Supply has them for $32 right now.

OP
OP
R

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! I’ll definitely upgrade the heating system.

Quick update: I have since realized that the space I have acquired for the tank is larger than I had anticipated. Would you all think upgrading my order to a 525 xl (110 gal) would be worth the extra cost or should I stick with the 425? If so is the equipment had listed able to accept the extra load? Thanks!
I have a Reefer 450. You're going to love it. The only thing on your list that I'm not a fan of it the heater. I have the Eheim and I've found it to be unreliable in its heating cycle (it cycles on too late and shuts off too late, so the temp swings) and it is sooooooo massively long. It barely fits in my sump. The first critique doesn't matter if you're going to get a controller or some kind though. With that heater I would recommend a controller of some kind, even one of the $40 Inkbird ones. The Ehaim using an older thermostat system that uses two metal wires that expand and contract with temp changes. When the temp drops too far, they contact each other, completing the circuit and turning the heater on. However, over time these contacts can stick and leave the heater on and cook your fish. I think it's fine as a backup heater, and to be fair, you'll find a ton of people on this forum that use it as a primary without a controller...but I just don't trust them. For a similar price I would look at the Finnex HPG 300. it's smaller, has a digital temperature reading, external temp probe, and a little button next to the plug to change the temp so you don't have you reach into your tank to do so. Bulk Reef Supply has them for $32 right now.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! I had a similar dilema do you. The 350 vs 450. I went with the 450. The 525 is the way to go if you can swing it. The footprint is the same as the 425 but a whole foot longer which will make a big difference for fish that line to swim like tangs and it will look awesome!

All the gear you listed will work for the 525 just as well as the 425. If you have the space and the money, it's a no brainer. Get the 5 foot tank!

PaulK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 525 Deluxe and think the extra foot of length is definitely worth it. I went with two Tunze 6095s, which provide good flow. I don’t know if the 6055s would be enough—I run one 6095 at full power and the other at about 60%. But if you’ve already bought them you could always add a third later if necessary.

I run the Reef Octopus 150 on my 525, but I use the Regal model with the varios pump. I’m very happy with it—it’s very quiet, never needs adjustment, and pulls out a lot of dark skimmate.

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the tank.....but not part of the tank.....not in the tank....but somewhere else.....I'm rambling...
Get yourself a RO/DI unit. Don't rely on someone else for your water supply (mixed or top-off).:cool:

Those Reefer systems are really nice....enjoy your build, and Welcome to R2R!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back