Help flukes problem

acomps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had issues with flukes in my tank for a while. The fish are shaking and flashing. It doesn't apear to be ich as I had copper ran for a while. When i lower the salt level to 1.009 it seems to help then with evaparotion it seems the flukes come back. I have prazipro in there now and now the fish are breathing really hard. I also seem to have an algae bloom. The Ph is around 7.8. I tried prazipro before and it didn't help these types of flukes. My question how low can I lower the salt level? These are stubborn flukes and I want to run hyposalinity for a month. Or if there are any other suggestions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had issues with flukes in my tank for a while. When i lower the salt level to 1.009 it seems to help then with evaparotion it seems the flukes come back. I have prazipro in there now and now the fish are breathing really hard. The Ph is around 7.8. I tried prazipro before and it didn't help these types of flukes. My question how low can I lower the salt level? These are stubborn flukes and I want to run hyposalinity for a month.
Please post pics under white lighting for positive i.d.
Hyposalinity and FW dips will offer relief but not necessarily eliminate flukes. IF Flukes, prazi must be present for 8 days and followed by a water change and one more dosage for another 8 day period
Prazi will reduce appetite and oxygen, possibly reason for heavy breathing. Add aeration via an air stone and monitor ammonia levels

OP
OP
A

acomps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pics under white lighting for positive i.d.
Hyposalinity and FW dips will offer relief but not necessarily eliminate flukes. IF Flukes, prazi must be present for 8 days and followed by a water change and one more dosage for another 8 day period
Prazi will reduce appetite and oxygen, possibly reason for heavy breathing. Add aeration via an air stone and monitor ammonia levels
Is rapid breathing normal? Not all of the fish are rapid breathing. So you would stay the course then? I have added in an air stone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is rapid breathing normal? Not all of the fish are rapid breathing. So you would stay the course then? I have added in an air stone.
Some fish have a normal higher respiration than others such as wrasses but often is a sign of irregularity with water quality or disease such as gill flukes, ich, etc

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had issues with flukes in my tank for a while. The fish are shaking and flashing. It doesn't apear to be ich as I had copper ran for a while. When i lower the salt level to 1.009 it seems to help then with evaparotion it seems the flukes come back. I have prazipro in there now and now the fish are breathing really hard. I also seem to have an algae bloom. The Ph is around 7.8. I tried prazipro before and it didn't help these types of flukes. My question how low can I lower the salt level? These are stubborn flukes and I want to run hyposalinity for a month. Or if there are any other suggestions.
1.012 for 35 days will eliminate Neobenedenia. The trouble is, they have eggs that low salinity can’t kill, but it does keep them from hatching and 35 days without hatching will kill them.
There are other fluke species though, including some rare brackish water ones that low salinity will not control.
Jay

OP
OP
A

acomps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.012 for 35 days will eliminate Neobenedenia. The trouble is, they have eggs that low salinity can’t kill, but it does keep them from hatching and 35 days without hatching will kill them.
There are other fluke species though, including some rare brackish water ones that low salinity will not control.
Jay
Hello I have been using Prazipro for 4 days now. How long until this works? I came home yesterday and the fish are breathing really hard. Changed the water and added more prazipro. While doing this I gave the fish fresh water dip. That seemed to make it better. My point is I don't think prazipro is working unless I am doing it wrong. They are still scratching and head twitching etc. Today I came home at lunch and they are breathing hard again. Should I try hypo salinity at 1.009? I did copper in the tank a while ago so I don't think it is ich. Symptoms are swimming near the top and breathing hard along with scratching. Very frusturated. Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have been using Prazipro for 4 days now. How long until this works? I came home yesterday and the fish are breathing really hard. Changed the water and added more prazipro. While doing this I gave the fish fresh water dip. That seemed to make it better. My point is I don't think prazipro is working unless I am doing it wrong. They are still scratching and head twitching etc. Today I came home at lunch and they are breathing hard again. Should I try hypo salinity at 1.009? I did copper in the tank a while ago so I don't think it is ich. Symptoms are swimming near the top and breathing hard along with scratching. Very frusturated. ThanKs
How many doses of Prazipro have you added?
Did you have good aeration during this time?
Is the water cloudy at all?
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back