Help for a simple quarantine method

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I want to improve on the buy a fish , drip it and add it to the display method most people use. I know a true, serious quarantine method is long and tedious. I am also certain there is a simpler way to simply improve my chances of not adding a disease to my display.
I propose to use the Blue Life Safety Stop before adding my fish to a quarantine tank. I would like to know, there after what product should I use in the quarantine tank over a month or so. I refuse copper, it's too touchy and I do not believe it is good for the fish assuming the fish might not even have a disease in the first place. I heard Prazi pro...any experiences or ideas? Thanks

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you want to do it correctly you’ll need to get more serious. Here’s a newer option I have not yet tried but seems promising (H202 TTM) as @Humblefish describes here:

Or use copper or chloroquine phosphate. Assuming every fish coming through the distribution system now has disease is a very reasonable assumption, IMO.

Last edited:

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also just observe your fish in qt for a month. I have done this successfully with no meds, because the fish did not need any. If you see symptoms, it’s easy to treat with meds then.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you want to do it correctly you’ll need to get more serious. Here’s a newer option I have not yet tried but seems promising (H202 TTM) as @Humblefish describes here:

Or use copper or chloroquine phosphate. Assuming every fiah coming through the distribution system now has disease is a very reasonable assumption, IMO.
This.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also just observe your fish in qt for a month. I have done this successfully with no meds, because the fish did not need any. If you see symptoms, it’s easy to treat with meds then.
Unfortunately, many fish can even hide velvet for months, such as wrasse. I have had this bite me so I recommend if you do this proceed with caution and have a back up plan to remove all fish to a quarantine system. :)

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, many fish can even hide velvet for months, such as wrasse. I have had this bite me so I recommend if you do this proceed with caution and have a back up plan to remove all fish to a quarantine system. :)

So how long in qt for observation would you recommend, pending no visible signs of disease? 6 weeks, 8?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long in qt for observation would you recommend, pending no visible signs of disease? 6 weeks, 8?
For tangs and angels I’d say 45 days. For wrasse gobies and other disease resistant fish I don’t know that any timeframe works, but more

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or use copper or chloroquine phosphate. Assuming every fish coming through the distribution system now has disease is a very reasonable assumption, IMO.
H202 is awesome and has worked for me. It’s actually very simple and TTM is gentle. My sons puffers never seemed to notice anything with it, and they had velvet bad. They are in observation now and so far no signs of disease after treatment.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back