HELP-Frozen mocha frostbite clown has bacterial infection

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics won't remain active in the water long, so you can do the 25% water change for Triple Sulfa and not worry about diluting Neoplex.

I would continue to treat for 10-14 days.

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's still hanging on. She doesn't look any better though.
Today I had to go to the vet so I asked for a catheter and they gave me 3 different sizes.
I got some clove oil at a grocery store because my Walmart didn't have it.
I decided to try tube feeding again. I read 1 drop of clove oil per 1 liter of water. I was afraid to use it but I did anyway. The 1 drop from my bottle seemed like a lot so I dumped some water out.
I then put her in there and she started to look sedated or dying after a little while so I got scared and took her out. She was feisty and flopping all over but stopped so I tube fed her with the catheter. I didn't know how much to use. They said .05 for a seahorse but that looked like a lot so I tried .03. It worked well this time with the catheter but a lot of it stayed in the syringe so I don't think she got much.
I put her back in the hos. tank and she looked dead on the bottom and floating around. I kept moving her around and slowly she came back and is now swimming around again.
I do want to thank you humblefish (and others) for helping me. At least I can try.

I'm not sure how often I should try to tube feed her? I thought maybe every other day when I do a water change but the whole sedation thing scares me.
I really doubt she's gonna make it anyway but she's a fighter so I want to try to help her.

She has had 9 days of melafix and now 8 days of triple sulfa plus she had neoplex 5 days ago. I thought by now her fins would look a little better but if anything they look whiter to me.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how often I should try to tube feed her? I thought maybe every other day when I do a water change but the whole sedation thing scares me.

Whenever I tube feed a fish, I do so every other day.

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the 14th day for the triple sulfa and she had neoplex the last 2 Thursdays. She's still hanging on but I don't really see any improvement. Her body still looks white and her gills are red.
I've been trying to tube feed her every other day but I don't know if she's getting anything or not it hasn't been going well. I can't believe how feisty she is and jumps around. I use a cup to get her out of the tank and she always jumps out of the cup onto the cupboard. I gave up on sedating her because it didn't seem to work very good.
I was using flakes but they sometimes got stuck in the tube so now got some cyclops.

What do you think I should do now? I never thought she would live this long I could have ordered that spectrogram.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm impressed by your dedication and efforts to save this fish. That little clown sure has some heart in her!

Could it be brook? Maybe metro could help

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get a picture of her but they didn't turn out very good. Her fins and tail are suppose to be dark like the bottom ones.
I've actually had saltwater fish for over 40 years and I don't know what this is. I never dealt with brook but I feel it's prolly not brook or velvet because she would have been dead by now and also I had her for 2 years and haven't added anything new to that tank since I got her and the male.
I talked with someone from my LFS and he said he's been seeing fish come in with a weird whitish slime coat that peals off but hers just stays the same.
My guess is it's bacterial or fungal but I dunno why nothing is helping when she seems to be fighting and not giving up.
P1030958.JPG
P1030943.JPG
P1030949.JPG
P1030946.JPG

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture of her and the male when I got them but their fins turned black as they grew.
my mocha frostbite pair.jpg
my frozen mocha frostbite pair.jpg

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a fish get brook if it's been in the same tank for 2 yrs without adding anything new?
I read humblefish's article and saw pictures of brook and she kinda looks like that but she's mostly white and I don't see anything peeling off.
I don't know if I should order spectrogram? Try something that isn't for a bacterial infection? I know it isn't ich.
She had a bad wound on her about a month or so before this happened but I thought it healed and she was back eating. All of a sudden she started acting blind and soon after quit eating, her gills are inflamed and she has white like a slime coat all over her body.

Should I get spectrogram and try that now?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a fish get brook if it's been in the same tank for 2 yrs without adding anything new?
I read humblefish's article and saw pictures of brook and she kinda looks like that but she's mostly white and I don't see anything peeling off.
I don't know if I should order spectrogram? Try something that isn't for a bacterial infection? I know it isn't ich.
She had a bad wound on her about a month or so before this happened but I thought it healed and she was back eating. All of a sudden she started acting blind and soon after quit eating, her gills are inflamed and she has white like a slime coat all over her body.

Should I get spectrogram and try that now?

I've seen instances where brook (and uronema) can lie dormant. Or a fish develops temporary immunity. For example, a lady I helped one time gave her clownfish a formalin bath for brook and then just put them right back in the DT (where they should have gotten reinfected). To my amazement, symptoms never returned UNTIL about a year later when she moved the tank. Brook came back, she did another formalin bath, threw the clowns back in the DT and to my knowledge they are still fine to this day. :confused:

It's worth noting that both brook and uronema have not been as thoroughly studied, and thus are not as well understood, as ich & velvet.

Are you talking about the Spectrogram which contains nitrofurazone and kanamycin? That is worth trying, but I would also add metronidazole to it.

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and apparently I need to own a pharmacy lol.
I dunno if I should try a formalin bath? I never did that before. The problem is I have to order everything online usually.
She is white but none of it is coming off like the pictures. Also she didn't have streaks/patches of white like the pictures she just kinda turned all white but then again it's hard to tell because she is white.
What would you try next humblefish? Do you think spectrogram would work any different than the triple sulfa and neoplex? or do you think maybe I'm treating her for the wrong thing and should try formalin? Then I read there's a dip and a bath. Which should I do?

I never treated fish in a hospital tank. When I first started I used sulfa and then for many years I used the sano stuff which was so easy you just added a cpl drops to the DT every day so this is all new to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading about brook on seachems paraguard forum and it said the fish usually die within days so it would be odd if it was brook. She has been white now for at least 25 days that I have had her in the hos. tank.

I don't know what to try next and the clock is ticking

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kass03 I would probably try Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex.

That combination treats brook + a wide range of bacterial diseases.

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So spectrogram plus metroplex.
I ordered it dunno how long it will take. It says spectrogram is a combo of kanaplex and furan 2 and easier to use. They also had metroplex so ordered it all.
Hopefully she won't die before I get it. That was another $30

Do you think I should keep using the triple sulfa until it gets here or just let her rest?
The last time I used it was Saturday.
I changed out a gallon of water last night because it looked like there was some ammonia in the water. I used one of those test strips and compared it to another tank. I have been changing a half gallon every other day so not sure why. There was some of the food in her gills after tube feeding so maybe that's why. I now put her in a container first after tube feeding.

Also I have her in a small all in one 1.75g tank for fresh water fish. I cut open the little filter pad that goes in the back and removed the carbon from it when I started.
Should I put a new one of those in there to try to remove the left over meds before I use the new stuff? It's carbon for freshwater fish so don't know if it would even work. Or should I just put new water in and start over?

Thanks so much for your help

Last edited:
OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suppose to get the meds tomorrow.
Last night I changed all the water and tube fed her and I think she got some food this time.
I'm always afraid I'm gonna give her too much so do what I think is good and quickly put her back in the water and then I look at the syringe and it's only like .2ml but I do make it pretty concentrated.
I'm afraid she's gonna burst if I do too much.

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok as of yesterday she's had 3 treatments of spectrogram and metroplex according to directions with no improvement.
Last night she started laying on the bottom of the tank and I thought she would be dead today but she's alive and still on the bottom but upright. She's having a hard time swimming.
I discovered now what her ailment is for sure.
I kept seeing bright white little pieces of something on the black bottom of the tank but could never figure out what it was. Now that she's on the bottom and not moving so much I can see where the original wound was. It was behind her side fin so hard to see but it did heal up at the time. Now all the white from her body in that area is coming off. It is an infection from the original wound. Her side is sunken in there.
I don't know why none of those meds have helped it.
If she's alive tomorrow which meds do you think I should give her knowing it's some kind of infection probably from a bite wound?

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed her and actually feel like I got some food in her but she looks bad.
I changed some water and used the spectrogram and metroplex again. I also put a little metroplex in the food.
Here's a picture. It's black/dark
P1030987.JPG
there now by her fin. If you look at the photo's above it wasn't black/dark

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back