Help: gramma jumped out of tank and now is acting weird.

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a gramma in my quarantine tank for several weeks and was doing great. During the transition to the display, he some how ended up on the floor (likely jumped while floating in an open bag). Not sure how long he was out but it couldn’t be more than a few sec to a minute.

I quickly got him back into his bag and finished my usual acclimating process. He seemed normal in the bag but once he was released, started swimming upside down. He made it to the wall and made it down to the corner of the display. He’s been there glue in the corner for ~15-20min without any change.

Any suggestions? This normal? Anything I can do? Any help is appreciated!!!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isnt much you can do here. It will either recover or it won't. Hoping for the best for you.

It just depends on how long it was out of the water and if internal damage happened from lack of oxygen.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t sound good, must have fallen just “right” or been out longer than you thought. Not much you can do. I hope I’m wrong. :(

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually had this happen a few times in different ways, not much you can do but wait it out.
It's amazing how they can look at deaths door and then bounce back, just leave it alone and hopefully it recovers.

OP
OP
Angryminer_07

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: He’s sitting upright and has put himself next to a rock a few inches from that corner. He appeared to maybe peek out before noticing me and glued himself to the rock.

He’s been a scaredy cat in quarantine so this isn’t completely out fo character.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine how scary it would be to be startled and when you reacted you ended up under water gasping for breath. Then something snatches you out of the water and you wake up in a small room....:D. He has good reason to act weird for a while.

Grammas often swim upside down or sideways in nature. Like everyone said, there is no treatment you can do. Just keep the lighting subdued and wait and see. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah in a situation like this waiting is about all you can do. You generally know pretty quickly if they're going to make it or not. Sounds like yours is showing good signs. :)

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Bella goby jump out of QT through egg crate a week or so ago. Crazy cause his head must have just barely fit through it. Fortunately I was in the room and heard it. Got him in quickly and he was fine.
2 tank transfers latest and on the final day of QT I go downstairs and he's jumped again overnight and is jerky. I had doubled up the egg crate so one piece overlapped and halfed the size of the other. He should have never been able to fit. I was heartbroken... I don't even know how to defend that except now I'm wrapping fine mesh around all my QT egg crate lids. But he should have never fit, much less had to line up a perfect jump....

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing I can say at this point except sorry it happened. One of those things . Hope the beautiful fish makes it. :(

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Bella goby jump out of QT through egg crate a week or so ago. Crazy cause his head must have just barely fit through it. Fortunately I was in the room and heard it. Got him in quickly and he was fine.
2 tank transfers latest and on the final day of QT I go downstairs and he's jumped again overnight and is jerky. I had doubled up the egg crate so one piece overlapped and halfed the size of the other. He should have never been able to fit. I was heartbroken... I don't even know how to defend that except now I'm wrapping fine mesh around all my QT egg crate lids. But he should have never fit, much less had to line up a perfect jump....

I had a friend that had this exact thing happen with a jawfish. It was theoretically too big to fit through eggcrate too. I see it this way. The fish launches himself at the surface like a bullet, and his leading edge is rounded. His shape will automatically guide/center him on the first hole he contacts, and his momentum will carry him through even if it's considerably smaller than him. Especially if it's square and he's round. It's nuts and not good but it makes sense that it happens.

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe dose Melafix in quarantine to help with comprised slime layer?

dtimerunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still new to this wonderful hobby, but after talking to several people in my area this is common behavior for Royal Gramma's. Mine did the exact same thing when introduced to my tank 4 months ago, and now swims around with his pal a Hi fin firefish.

OP
OP
Angryminer_07

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still new to this wonderful hobby, but after talking to several people in my area this is common behavior for Royal Gramma's. Mine did the exact same thing when introduced to my tank 4 months ago, and now swims around with his pal a Hi fin firefish.
He’s out and about and doing well. He’s usually upright unless he’s close to rock and will turn whatever way will put his belly to the rock. He spends ~50 of his time upside down

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at fish stores in my early years and royal grammas were my least favorite fish to net. They go absolutely nuts flipping around like crazy with their mouth wide open. Once stressed they glue themselves in a corner like you described. My favorite was the pack of bar gobies I trained to swim into my hand. They seemed to like being picked up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back