HELP!! Green hair algae?!

ImNewAtThis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve started slowly adding livestock and stuff to my tank, checking levels, etc. and now I have a green hair algae outbreak. I’ve tried killing the lights and cut back on feeding. It’s really ONLY on my live sand. Do I just pull it out...?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve started slowly adding livestock and stuff to my tank, checking levels, etc. and now I have a green hair algae outbreak. I’ve tried killing the lights and cut back on feeding. It’s really ONLY on my live sand. Do I just pull it out...?
If it is only on the sand, siphon it out

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae comes in all colors. Check your NO3 and PO4. Suction it out, reduce lighting, feed less. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To tag onto this, if we take easily removable rocks out to manually scrub, then is it recommended to scrub them in temperature matched new saltwater or would plain RO be fine?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To tag onto this, if we take easily removable rocks out to manually scrub, then is it recommended to scrub them in temperature matched new saltwater or would plain RO be fine?
If you scrub them in RO you will be killing off you denitrifying bacteria, so make sure they are in saltwater that holds a similar temperature. If the water is too cold this will kill of the bacteria as well.

OP
OP
ImNewAtThis

ImNewAtThis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get one and attach it, I was at school.

image.jpg

OP
OP
ImNewAtThis

ImNewAtThis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is, your po is bad have you tested your phosphate level? it suppose to be 0.03 also the water you use get a media reactor put rowph all the alge will go away

Seachem PhosGuard and Rowahos

I do have the phosguard, I need to invest in the Hanna phosphate tester, I have API. So it could be 0 or it could be 0.25, the world may never know. Lol thank you for your advice! ☺️

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back