Help guys! Im new and made a critical mistake!

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say thank you to all of you that reached out. This show of support has really proved how awesome this community, and this forum is. I cant wait until I can contribute to the community in this way. Tha k you for the support and encouragement. I will update in this thread on its improvement in the coming weeks.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your parameters where they need to be?

The coral soft tissue seems a bit depleted, if you maintain good paramets, the coral should come back. No need to dip it in anything.

Messing with it will just stress the coral out more.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From these pictures, the soft tissue is not fully covering the hard skeleton. Most likely due to not having the right calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels in the tank.

Check your levels and bring them up to where it needs to be.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your parameters where they need to be?

The coral soft tissue seems a bit depleted, if you maintain good paramets, the coral should come back. No need to dip it in anything.

Messing with it will just stress the coral out more.
Parameters are good. Calcium is actually a bit high, and I had a ph dip recently that I righted. It's back around 8.3. I've been dosing alkalinity because I am sure with the high calcium and lower ph it was low. I actually have an alkalinity test kit in the mail. Brs pharma goodies as well. I am only 6 months in the hobby. I have a chaeto reactor, a dosing pump for magnesium dosing, a kalkwasser stirrer, and several test kits I'm not able to test for with both of the api sw test kits in the mail now. My ammonia was up a very small amount I believe because I recently lost a mandarin goby during a dino outbreak and I didnt find him passed u till after the blackout. It was a sad situation. I've lost a few snails as well which bumped the ammonia a bit. But everything else is near perfect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From these pictures, the soft tissue is not fully covering the hard skeleton. Most likely due to not having the right calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels in the tank.

Check your levels and bring them up to where it needs to be.
Unfortunately my alkalinity test kit, and magnesium test kit are still in the mail. I havent been dosing for magnesium and ordered brs pharma magnesium, and a kalkwasser stirrer with auto top off to really dial in my parameters. U fortunately I'm still new to the hobby, and I didnt gather those supplies or the knowledge about them until the last couple of weeks. And it did take me a week or so to gather the $500usd it costed me to order everything I needed. My calcium is quite high, and my ph dipped, which lead me to believe my alkalinity was low. So I have only been dosing for alkalinity because that's what I have right now. I also ordered two ai primes and a nero 3 powerhead because my current marine powerhead seized I believe because of the impeller. I spent $1,100 usd last friday to become a better reefer. I am doing the best I can with what I have. I know I made a mistake by not doing these things to begin with, but i am trying to do it right.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I am going shopping like, right now. I will post on this thread with an update to his health. I'm going to let him be for several hours to see if he looks any better. Then take him out for the dip. Thank you so much.
You could probably let it be for a day or so and see how it reacts. I am still for dipping, but you can wait a day or 2 before doing it. Not sure how the flow is in your tank, but if their is any tissue damage to the base, you don’t want it swaying around. I would definitely put it in a very low flow area to allow it to come out of the skeleton and check the base.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably let it be for a day or so and see how it reacts. I am still for dipping, but you can wait a day or 2 before doing it. Not sure how the flow is in your tank, but if their is any tissue damage to the base, you don’t want it swaying around. I would definitely put it in a very low flow area to allow it to come out of the skeleton and check the base.
Funny enough, the flow is actually kind of low until I recieve my nero 3 powerhead I got because my current marine powerhead seized. I turned up my return and angled it for better flow in the tank until I have my new powerhead. So the flow over the hammer is quite low at the moment.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough, the flow is actually kind of low until I recieve my nero 3 powerhead I got because my current marine powerhead seized. I turned up my return and angled it for better flow in the tank until I have my new powerhead. So the flow over the hammer is quite low at the moment.
Thats a good thing, to allow it to recover. You want flow around it but not a lot of flow on it.

Now you just need time.

Watch all 3 parameters
- Calcium
- Alkalinity
- Magnesium

Also lighting... guessing you have good lights.

If you are dosing kalk, you probably dont need to dose anything else unless you have lots of coral... dont think that is the case.

Stability is the key. No spikes.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good thing, to allow it to recover. You want flow around it but not a lot of flow on it.

Now you just need time.

Watch all 3 parameters
- Calcium
- Alkalinity
- Magnesium

Also lighting... guessing you have good lights.

If you are dosing kalk, you probably dont need to dose anything else unless you have lots of coral... dont think that is the case.

Stability is the key. No spikes.
My lighting is good but not great. I have a vipar spectra black box 300w which I purchased knowing it's the best spectrum coverage black box there is at the time, according to brs. Its 2 ft above the tank at the moment. But I have two ai primes in the mail as we speak. And I'm not dosing kalk yet. That is also in the mail, along with a slew of other items. Kalkwasser stirrer, ato, magnesium test kit and alkalinity test kit, dosing pump and brs pharma magnesium supplies. A skimz nano chaeto reactor. Polyp labs reef roids. I have red sea reef fusion part a and b that I've been dosing.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update 24 hours later to everyone who reached out with help. He seems to actually he recovering FLAWLESSLY! I think alot of you were right and he was just super ticked all day yesterday. This is this morning at 10 am

Side note: that monti in the back behind the hammer is a piece that was fully bleaching in a friends tank I am trying to save. It looks as if it's making a recovery.

Attachments

• 160700818600468126779262374315.jpg
    160700818600468126779262374315.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 16070082139821866392964439220832.jpg
    16070082139821866392964439220832.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 29

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back