Help high ammonia and nitrite

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and nitrite spike I have a 32gallon bio cube it has been cycling for over 2 months I had prefect parameters but I used a reef buffer and my hkd was high so I did a 95% water change big mistake my nitrite is now .25 ammonia .50 and nitrates are 0-5 what should I do I have a baby lion fish coming tomorrow and couldn’t stop shipment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water change and addition of chemipure elite will reduce while elite will keep it in check

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
false reading Ill bet

even if tap water tests zero, its a false read for having any nitrogen from any species in the real display, common test kits overreport or are making false reading due to additives.

Ive never seen a cycle undo in reefing, not ever, in fifty thousand cycles. Yours can't just be the first.

post a pic of the tank for decoding if possible

if your tank is uncycled, then all cycling charts online will need to be rewritten allowing for ammonia to rise back up after day eight.

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
false reading Ill bet

even if tap water tests zero, its a false read for having any nitrogen from any species in the real display, common test kits overreport or are making false reading due to additives.

Ive never seen a cycle undo in reefing, not ever, in fifty thousand cycles. Yours can't just be the first.

post a pic of the tank for decoding if possible

if your tank is uncycled, then all cycling charts online will need to be rewritten allowing for ammonia to rise back up after day eight.
I honestly don’t know what happened The only thing I did was I changed out 95% of the water and add a new water because my alkalinity was high for the lionfish changing out 95% of the water didn’t even help in the only thing I really did different with the rocks was put super glue gel on them to try to get them to stick that didn’t work and then I put the rocks back in the fish tank I got my lionfish this morning did a water changed I have been worried about him he has been nose down staying by rocks but when I took the picture he was swimming around maybe because it was pitch dark my parameters now are nitrite .25 ammonia .25-.50 nitrate .20-40 ph 80 did add ph up haven’t tested after temp 78 SG 1.24 I just added stability and api stress zyme

image.jpg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they may have been a little damp but I don’t remember that was a couple days ago :(
I would get a Seachem ammonia badge and put it in tank to verify ammonia levels and treat it as a quarantine tank. Ie, lots of water changes if the badge detects ammonia. Make sure your water change water is good though (test everything before you use it). The bacterial load should increase fast if the tank has already cycled. I imagine the bacteria in your sand alone should have processed any die off on the rocks by now. All is not lost, good luck.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in no way is your reef harmed at all

notice now only tests are causing the alarm and literally nothing else? False misreads. Take no action, watch how your reef works fine every day as it has been.

work day by day with me and as soon as you think there’s a real problem, not from just a test kit, we can take different action.

coming tomorrow, Friday, test nothing and just reef. Add nothing. No testing tomorrow for anything.

lets see Saturday how one single day of not worrying goes.
of course it will be ok, how many 24 hour evaluation periods have we already been through here

we are doing one thing different though, no testing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t know what happened The only thing I did was I changed out 95% of the water and add a new water because my alkalinity was high for the lionfish changing out 95% of the water didn’t even help in the only thing I really did different with the rocks was put super glue gel on them to try to get them to stick that didn’t work and then I put the rocks back in the fish tank I got my lionfish this morning did a water changed I have been worried about him he has been nose down staying by rocks but when I took the picture he was swimming around maybe because it was pitch dark my parameters now are nitrite .25 ammonia .25-.50 nitrate .20-40 ph 80 did add ph up haven’t tested after temp 78 SG 1.24 I just added stability and api stress zyme

image.jpg
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would add the Stability every 3 days for a week or two until your biological filter gets stronger in case it wasn't mature enough.
One thing I can't stress enough is to STOP using pH buffers. Those work by raising alkalinity. The pH in a salt water tank is a result of 2 parameters. Alkalinity and CO2. We want to have a constant alkalinity so the only safe way to change pH is to reduce CO2. As long as your pH is over 7.6 I wouldn't worry about trying to change it. Otherwise, you need to get fresh outdoor air to your tank if you really want to have a positive impact on pH.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the uncycled reef can’t carry the initial lionfish

The anemones are now dead but not due to a bad cycle...it was power head chopping per updated posts. makes a good case for not testing for nitrite at any phase in display tank reefing

we were going to make more retail purchases here for a situation already covered, just by factoring nitrite

an approach for fish disease control is needed here, to prevent upcoming fish loss to non qt/ fallow design.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back