HELP! HOW CAN I REMOVE THIS?

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just wondering if its okay to pull this scoly out & remove as much algea as i can with tweezers and then do a hydrogen peroxide dip to remove all the remaining algea. Ive never dipped any corals in h2O2 and need help on the ratio and advice on if dipping in hydrogen peroxide is even a good idea for this. Please let me know im anxious to get it all off lol. Also would be great if someone can tell me what type of algea this is, it only seems to be on this scoly and nowhere else in the tank. FYI this coral came with alot of algea on it and i tried to removed as much as i could with tweezers when i first got it.

16190401061452843163891266200524.jpg 16190403408575532613715292671673.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agreed

hey lets consider live time surgery on that frag and we can make an article one day on reef tank dentistry

that's exactly like a tooth that needs working, with gums that need avoiding in the dig/surgery.

peroxide is a tool but not as a dip be exacting, we can keep it off the polyp.

one brainstorm might b easy: literally dip only 1/4 of the circle in straight 3%, don't touch the flesh and even if you do it wont kill it, but don't. be exacting.

hold there a minute

lift it out and wash off separate cup of matching saltwater, cleaned off.

dip other frag side

rinse off in clean saltwater not the old rinse water

and just leave it all to die in 36 hours and ghost out

peroxide touched none of the actual polyp, be exacting as you angle the dip and hold.

then go in with tweezers and assist and use light scrapes from a tiny knife after it starts to turn loose in a few days, be exacting, don't break off the septal ridges.
bamsurgery.
post your pics it could be a neat post fix. we could use it to make a mini article example

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae I always recommend as much manual removal as possible first, then if necessary certain CUC members that fit your system and will feed on hair algae.. Turbo snails are a great call in all honesty
Do you think i should do a hydrogen peroxide dip? Also right now my CUC is 10 blue leg hermits. 2 nass snails, 4 trochus snails, 1 halloween hermit, 1 purple pin cushion urchin, 1 sand sifting starfish.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agreed

hey lets consider live time surgery on that frag and we can make an article one day on reef tank dentistry

that's exactly like a tooth that needs working, with gums that need avoiding in the dig/surgery.

peroxide is a tool but not as a dip be exacting, we can keep it off the polyp.

one brainstorm might b easy: literally dip only 1/4 of the circle in straight 3%, don't touch the flesh and even if you do it wont kill it, but don't. be exacting.

hold there a minute

lift it out and wash off separate cup of matching saltwater, cleaned off.

dip other frag side

rinse off in clean saltwater not the old rinse water

and just leave it all to die in 36 hours and ghost out

peroxide touched none of the actual polyp, be exacting as you angle the dip and hold.

then go in with tweezers and assist and use light scrapes from a tiny knife after it starts to turn loose in a few days, be exacting, don't break off the septal ridges.
bamsurgery.
post your pics it could be a neat post fix. we could use it to make a mini article example
Ok will do ill probably begin surgery in a hour lol.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Brandon not to do a full peroxide dip on it. I have no issues with zoas and peroxide for reasonable amount of time, but LPS is much more sensitive to it.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Brandon not to do a full peroxide dip on it. I have no issues with zoas and peroxide for reasonable amount of time, but LPS is much more sensitive to it.
Ok, i wont do a full dip but do you guys think if the skeleton is clean of algea the scoly might fully open? Or do you think its too far gone?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a lot of life left in that to me. Manual removal of the algae and i think it will do just find (assuming parameters are good). Definitely not too far gone though.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember its like dipping a quarter of a donut in coffee but only up to the hole, not past it.

don't touch perox to the flesh, easy.

but its still full 3% angled onto the bearding.

see how it just sits there a sec, cooking.

lift out, wash that off so it wont splash back on the polyp that section is now crisped but will take 36 hours to show

don't even pick any off just wheel whorl it in section dips it'll fall right off or at least turn white in 3 days is my guess. none will touch polyp. being totally creative lets you use full strength peroxide on the target.

let it sit angled in the perx for about 2 mins, straight 3% and don't press all the way to the flesh line, allow for capillary wicking on the algae fronds. just dip up kinds of close to flesh, stop, hold. take out and rinse / repeat.

by the way

eight friends are laughing at me for using 3% and saying its full strength, that's baby water.

want to see what is not baby water...rocket fuel 35%

burn your eye right out...highly dangerous. right into the reef ~

turn down all music or you'll be harmed by my track choice. the point is the video not the jams. I was showing how I have developed corals that are pretty much immune to direct 35% contact. the mushrooms cannot be killed by direct sustained contact in the air. see the froth rate...even my boxer shrimp.

they're all acclimated over years of buildup. on babywater lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember its like dipping a quarter of a donut in coffee but only up to the hole, not past it.

don't touch perox to the flesh, easy.

but its still full 3% angled onto the bearding.

see how it just sits there a sec, cooking.

lift out, wash that off so it wont splash back on the polyp that section is now crisped but will take 36 hours to show

don't even pick any off just wheel whorl it in section dips it'll fall right off or at least turn white in 3 days is my guess. none will touch polyp. being totally creative lets you use full strength peroxide on the target.

let it sit angled in the perx for about 2 mins, straight 3% and don't press all the way to the flesh line, allow for capillary wicking on the algae fronds. just dip up kinds of close to flesh, stop, hold. take out and rinse / repeat.

by the way

eight friends are laughing at me for using 3% and saying its full strength, that's baby water.

want to see what is not baby water...rocket fuel 35%

burn your eye right out...highly dangerous. right into the reef ~

turn down all music or you'll be harmed by my track choice. the point is the video not the jams. I was showing how I have developed corals that are pretty much immune to direct 35% contact. the mushrooms cannot be killed by direct sustained contact in the air. see the froth rate...even my boxer shrimp.

they're all acclimated over years of buildup. on babywater lol.

Wow thats crazy lol. My peroxides only 3% i feel alot better about dipping it now.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take us a few pics of the dip if possible it'll look neat to show methods in a mini writeup.

if that's from mars/immune to peroxide and doesn't change in 3 days we can evaluate the fluconazole

but that also isn't ideal all the time, that's altering total water params to effect something we can directly access. I give perx a 90% chance of working, you're holding it dipped in 3% for about 1-2 mins its a strong burn.

some have wondered why that old pico reef never grows algae, its because Ive cheated. in that bowl is the last place algae would dare to show up.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take us a few pics of the dip if possible it'll look neat to show methods in a mini writeup.

if that's from mars/immune to peroxide and doesn't change in 3 days we can evaluate the fluconazole

but that also isn't ideal all the time, that's altering total water params to effect something we can directly access. I give perx a 90% chance of working, you're holding it dipped in 3% for about 1-2 mins its a strong burn.

some have wondered why that old pico reef never grows algae, its because Ive cheated.
ill try and document as much as i can

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do got to still be careful even with 3%. I dipped some Neon Clove Polyps the other day in a 75% saltwater, 25% 3% peroxide dilution (Because there was some algae starting to creep in on them). Before Dip they were doing okay opening up etc. After dip they haven't opened in a week starting to look pretty dead.

I've also had mixed results in Zoas, but you know zoas don't really just 'die' they are tough they hang on and spring back too. They don't seem to love the 3% dip even when diluted, but it doesn't really seem to kill them either.

Brandon's suggestion not to actually dip the polyp is a great one though you get best of both world desired effect, eliminate the invader with time on target and keep the polyp out of harms way!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back