Help I can’t figure out why my fish keep dying

Shawn_hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I had my fluval 32.5 tank for almost a year up and running out of no where all my fish besides my spotted goby fire shrimp snells star fish and hermit crabs. So I I made a decision to upgrade to a 65 gallon it’s up and running since March 12021. I added two clown fish a half back angel fish pistol shrimp. Within 3 days one of my clown fish and angel where died. The only thing that is high is my calcium. My levels are 1.021 salinity calcium is 520. Phosphate are 0.25. Nitrate are 20ppm

B9039C36-7B4B-4B37-B849-8176C0CD7EDF.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It may be a fish disease issue, not a water quality issue. Did you quarantine the new fish? Here is a link to additional background information that is helpful for us to know:

Jay

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of questions we need answered first. Also, that salinity is pushing hyposalinity, needs to be higher around 1.025ish. Did you acclimate correctly? Any signs of disease or injury? Any odd behavior, heavy breathing, not eating, etc? Any signs of stray voltage or possible contaminates in the tank?

OP
OP
Shawn_hand

Shawn_hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip acclimate the fish before putting them in. They were eating and acting fine. I’m going to do a water change to try to get the salinity up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip acclimate the fish before putting them in. They were eating and acting fine. I’m going to do a water change to try to get the salinity up.
Three days is too long for it to have been an acclimation issue. Your specific gravity is spot on for fish, just a bit low for invertebrates, but that didn’t kill the shrimp. You do need to ensure that your device to measure specific gravity is accurate.
Jay

OP
OP
Shawn_hand

Shawn_hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my invertebrates are still alive. I’m going to take a water sample and have it tested by someone else to make sure

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my invertebrates are still alive. I’m going to take a water sample and have it tested by someone else to make sure
When invertebrates are alive, but fish are dying, it is almost always a disease issue.
Jay

OP
OP
Shawn_hand

Shawn_hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my fish first died I waited a month before I getting the other fish and before that I added a six line Wrasse and it was doing fine for 3 weeks and then it died.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my fish first died I waited a month before I getting the other fish and before that I added a six line Wrasse and it was doing fine for 3 weeks and then it died.
The normal wait out time for disease is around 75 days with no fish in the tank. I’ve found that this time can be reduced to 45 days if the water is above 81 degrees.
Jay

OP
OP
Shawn_hand

Shawn_hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the tank at 82 for 3 weeks. I’m looking into setup up a quarantine tank now. And only buying one fish at a time. How long would you suggest to quarantine a fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the tank at 82 for 3 weeks. I’m looking into setup up a quarantine tank now. And only buying one fish at a time. How long would you suggest to quarantine a fish?
IMO 3 weeks isn’t long enough to clear diseases from a tank. 45 days is the absolute minimum.
Take a look at the stickies in the fish disease, I have my quaratine protocol posted there.
Jay

Back