Help! I cannot stop the leak from the top of the flex pipe on my drain

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water is leaking from the top of the right drain pipe slowly. I have a plastic flex pipe connected to the hose barb installed on the right bulkhead. This is the third time it's done this.

+IFJCxeUTxedqnZKyy%QNg.jpg

The air is coming out from the top of the pipe and the water is collecting and misting. The left side is okay.

I suppose that I should change the right bulkhead fitting to the glue-in type... but I had never done that with a reef tank.

So, I should get a proper size bulkhead fitting and drain the overflow before I start, right?

Aquatic Cove told me that the 180 gallon Aqueon tank is fitted with a one inch bulkhead fitting. I am confused since the current hose barb is 1-1/4 inch OD and I am using 1-1/4 inch flex pipe. Can someone help me figure this out so I can stop the leak?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the bulkhead is the Aqueon's integrated fitting. It's threaded with a big ring at the bottom surface of the tank, but I don't think the hose barb insert comes apart.

Okay, I would ditch the flexible pipe and replace it with "spa flex" tubing. It's used for hot tubs and can be found at the big box hardware stores. It's stiff and flexible, but can be warmed to the shape needed. It will seal way better.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this hose and like it better than what one can find at the local hardware or big box hardware. Link Here are some more option to purchase. link

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this hose and like it better than what one can find at the local hardware or big box hardware. Link Here are some more option to purchase. link

Yep, or that too will work. Thanks Jeffrey!

These types of tubing are soft enough to seal around the barb fitting and seal.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, or that too will work. Thanks Jeffrey!

These types of tubing are soft enough to seal around the barb fitting and seal.

Your welcome old friend.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the other end of the flex hose underwater at all? If it is that will cause back pressure and the hose will leak. Like stated before me, that is not the preferred hose to use on the drains but FWIW I use the same hoses as you and they don't leak..
If they are submerged try raising them out of the water and see if it stops leaking.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup , you need the end as pictured above. Good idea to glue a 1” pvc nipple into bottom/inside of bulkhead, then slide and clamp correct end of flex hose , as pictured above, over that

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind I am a small woman with no muscle power. I have used a type of hose that jeker suggested in the past, but I had to have someone fit it for me because the heavy duty hose did not flex easily.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind I am a small woman with no muscle power. I have used a type of hose that jeker suggested in the past, but I had to have someone fit it for me because the heavy duty hose did not flex easily.
here is a tip, plumbers will lightly beat the hose end (4-5") with a hammer or mallet to soften it (not destroy it) that will get it to flex enough to push on.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the other end of the flex hose underwater at all? If it is that will cause back pressure and the hose will leak. Like stated before me, that is not the preferred hose to use on the drains but FWIW I use the same hoses as you and they don't leak..
If they are submerged try raising them out of the water and see if it stops leaking.

When it leaked the first time, I noticed the back pressure, took a sag out of the long hose and pulled the end of the hose out of the water. The end of the hose is halfway open and submerged only halfway right now. It is leaking again, though.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to replace the current bulkhead fitting with a glue-in type, is it better to glue the flex hose with 1 inch end piece to the bulkhead with a glued-in PVC pipe or use PVC pipe and two elbow fittings and do away with a flex hose all together? Are you guys using a part flex hose to avoid 90 degree turns?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to replace the current bulkhead fitting with a glue-in type, is it better to glue the flex hose with 1 inch end piece to the bulkhead with a glued-in PVC pipe or use PVC pipe and two elbow fittings and do away with a flex hose all together? Are you guys using a part flex hose to avoid 90 degree turns?

Well 90's can trap air pockets, causing back pressure that can cause "toilet" flushing" sounds. It's best to avoid 90's on drains if possible for this reason. Not every system with 90's will experience this condition though.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it leaked the first time, I noticed the back pressure, took a sag out of the long hose and pulled the end of the hose out of the water. The end of the hose is halfway open and submerged only halfway right now. It is leaking again, though.
Does the leak stop if you pull the hose out of the water completely?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back