Help! I cannot stop the leak from the top of the flex pipe on my drain

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind I am a small woman with no muscle power. I have used a type of hose that jeker suggested in the past, but I had to have someone fit it for me because the heavy duty hose did not flex easily.
If you want to go this route, I should be able to help you with it after tomorrow.

If I were to replace the current bulkhead fitting with a glue-in type, is it better to glue the flex hose with 1 inch end piece to the bulkhead with a glued-in PVC pipe or use PVC pipe and two elbow fittings and do away with a flex hose all together? Are you guys using a part flex hose to avoid 90 degree turns?

One of my drains is hard piped the entire way, the other has a short section of silicone tubing to make installation easier.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the leak stop if you pull the hose out of the water completely?

Well, it was hard to tell this time if it did or not. It actually did when it leaked last time.

For the time being, I stopped the return pump. I have two MP40's circulating the water in the display and I am using small powerheads to circulate the water in the sump to keep things alive. My display have to do without a skimmer for a few days until I get all the parts gathered together.

When it rains, it pours. My ten years old GEO calcium reactor started leaking at the O-ring. I suppose that the O-ring lost its sealing ability. I have to order a new O-ring for it, too. :(

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose that the O-ring lost its sealing ability. I have to order a new O-ring for it, too. :(
It's possible that the O-ring just needs to be lubricated. Laboratory grade 100% silicone can work well for that.

I can come over any night this week other than tonight if you would like some help. I already have the silicone I can bring if you want to give it a try.

I believe I also have some extra 1" bulkheads up in the attic I can dig out.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the O-ring just needs to be lubricated.

I will try some silicone grease this afternoon. I have a little bit of it left. I don't remember ever changing the O-ring for the past 10 years on this one.

I believe I also have some extra 1" bulkheads up in the attic I can dig out.

Aquatic Cove has one inch bulkhead in stock for $10. Reilly and I will be out of town tomorrow since our oldest daughter is having her first baby tomorrow (our grandchild #3 after our son's twins last year. I am a grannie ;Wacky) The timing is not perfect, but that's life, isn't it?

When I get ready to change out the bulkhead and hard plumb the right hand side of the tank, I will let you all know. Maybe some of you can come over for a drink afterword.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reilly and I will be out of town tomorrow since our oldest daughter is having her first baby tomorrow (our grandchild #3 after our son's twins last year. I am a grannie ;Wacky)
Congratulations!!!

Let me know if I can do anything to help.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The leak is fixed for now. I boiled the end of the hose for one minute and pushed it up all the way up on the hose barb. It's holding now - no leak, yay! I also ordered a 6 foot section of 1-1/4 inch ID reinforced vinyl tubing just in case. It may be like me and my umbrella (never rains if I take it with me), lol. Oh, I also have the open end above the water to prevent a pressure buildup.

Thank you for your well-wishes.
Our 1st grandson was born yesterday morning :) Both the baby and mom are doing well.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed out the spiral hose with a new 1-1/4" braided vinyl tubing and the leak stopped. The spiral hose started to leak again shortly before the vinyl tubing came in, but the leak was very small. I am so glad that a local shop got me the right tubing.

I remember Lowes used to sell the same thing by foot inexpensively. Both Lowes and HD have reduced the number of things that they carry in-store, limiting our choices. I know that I can go online and order things to be here in a few days, but if I did that, I might have gotten the wrong kind (the 1-1/4 clear vinyl tubing with much much heftier wall - which I happened to see in-store and knew that I won't be able to handle it.) I am afraid the online shopping trend has its disadvantage.

joejoe1055-1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I found that Lowes stop selling pieces cut to order the other day. I was looking for some for my waterchange

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back