HELP! I did my first water change tonight and everything that could go wrong did :-/

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my water change tonight and I used a water pump to move water out of the tank and then to move the clean saltwater into the tank. Well, the instructions on the vivosun are non-existent, so I winged it. I turned the pump off after I finished moving water into the tank, I had no idea the water would run backwards continually back into the bucket, which I didn’t notice until my feet were wet. :( Ugh! Any who, I cleaned all that up and glad I put several towels down in advance.

I have a biocube 32 and after everything was running again I noticed the water level in the chamber with the pump in the back was at minimum. Which I’m still confused why, because the glass part of the tank is full and I have no idea how to I understand the twilight zone of this tank. Any who, I took water from the tank and poured it into the 3rd chamber and turned the pump back on. When I do that, the water immediately runs out of the 3rd chamber and the pump tries to run without water but I turn it off immediately. When I turn the pump off, the chamber fills back up. I’m really not sure what I did wrong because I didn’t make any adjustments to the chambers. My nerves are shot.

Somebody please help! I can’t turn the pump back on if the water is going to continually run below the pump level. I’m pretty sure it’s something super simple I’m missing here but it’s completely going over my head.

This forum really needs a crying emoticon.

Last edited:
Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my water change tonight and I used a water pump to move water out of the tank and then to move the clean saltwater into the tank. Well, the instructions on the vivosun are non-existent, so I winged it. I turned the pump off after I finished moving water into the tank, I had no idea the water would run backwards continually back into the bucket, which I didn’t notice until my feet were wet. :( Ugh! Any who, I cleaned all that up and glad I put several towels down in advance.

I have a biocube 32 and after everything was running again I noticed the water level in the chamber with the pump in the back was at minimum. Which I’m still confused why, because the glass part of the tank is full and I have no idea how to I understand...

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a biocube 32 and after everything was running again I noticed the water level in the chamber with the pump in the back was at minimum. Which I’m still confused why, because the glass part of the tank is full and I have no idea how to I understand the twilight zone of this tank. Any who, I took water from the tank and poured it into the 3rd chamber and turned the pump back on. When I do that, the water immediately runs out of the 3rd chamber and the pump tries to run without water but I turn it off immediately. When I turn the pump off, the chamber fills back up. I’m really not sure what I did wrong because I didn’t make any adjustments to the chambers. My nerves are shot.

Somebody please help! I can’t turn the pump back on if the water is going to continually run below the pump level. I’m pretty sure it’s something super simple I’m missing here but it’s completely going over my head.

This forum really needs a crying emoticon.
That is actually very expected, it is normal physics of AIOs.

The way water flows into your third chamber where the pump is located is essentially from all the pressure in the display, pushing water into the back. When water levels are higher in your display, there is more pressure and water flowing into the chamber equals to the amount of water pushed into the display by your return pump.

However when water levels decrease in the display, there is less pressure and so less water flows into the back, far less compared to how much your pump can push into the display. So now the pump constantly empties the back.

When you turn the pump off, water is pushed into the back chamber while nothing is returning it into the display, so the back fills up, until the water level in the display and the back equalizes.

Just calm down, pump water or whatever back into the tank (probably filling through the back is better), until you get close to the water level you used to have. Then turn the return pump in the third chamber back on again and you're sweet.

Upvote 1
Solution

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the video but it sounds like it needs more water. My JBJ was like that, it would pump the water out and then be dry. You need enough in the DT to flow into the back chamber and so on...

The way water flows into your third chamber where the pump is located is essentially from all the pressure in the display, pushing water into the back. When water levels are higher in your display, there is more pressure and water flowing into the chamber equals to the amount of water pushed into the display by your return pump.

However when water levels decrease in the display, there is less pressure and so less water flows into the back, far less compared to how much your pump can push into the display. So now the pump constantly empties the back.

When you turn the pump off, water is pushed into the back chamber while nothing is returning it into the display, so the back fills up, until the water level in the display and the back equalizes.

Just calm down, pump water or whatever back into the tank (probably filling through the back is better), until you get close to the water level you used to have. Then turn the return pump in the third chamber back on again and you're sweet.

Spot on!!.. You did not add enough water back. Your system runs on a balance between the display tank (DT) and the sump or overflow box.

When you turn on the return pump, you are basically overfilling the DT. This overfill pours into the overflows and is drained into the sump where it passes through the filter media and is pumped back into the tank. If your return pump chamber is running dry, then you do not have enough water to maintain that balance.

I usually overfill my tank and then remove whatever water is extra until I reach the balance I need.

Upvote 1

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what azedenkae said simplified; less water in the tank, less water in the return pump section. Just add more saltwater to the tank.
In the future search up water siphon, this will explain why water is on the floor and why you can use just a basic pipe alone and do a water change

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m warming up my extra water. I got lucky that I have extra. Pure luck! I’ll make sure I always have 2, 5 gallon jugs I’m the house from here on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch your salinity. your ATO may be pushing fresh water if it shows low in that chamber. SHut it off until you square your water levels
Thx! Once my water gets warmed up I’ll fill it up again. I did leave one part out of the story. After doing my water replacement I was hearing a constant splashing. That’s when I noticed water dripping over the middle vent from the tank into the chamber. Something I’ve never seen before and I never heard water splashing through the back before and that worried me a bit. That’s when I actually started taking water out because it appeared the front had too much water. This time I’ll fill it up but just short of that middle vent or whatever it’s called.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what azedenkae said simplified; less water in the tank, less water in the return pump section. Just add more saltwater to the tank.
In the future search up water siphon, this will explain why water is on the floor and why you can use just a basic pipe alone and do a water change
This is what I get for trying to be fancy! Lol! I was trying to make the water change easier. My goal is to do weekly water changes, I better go ahead and order my basic pipe tonight so that I can have it by the weekend.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add additional water until it flows into overflow and pump will pick it up and recirculate to the tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had to read this a 2nd time and it makes perfect sense. Thx! Getting ready to start adding water now.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I get for trying to be fancy! Lol! I was trying to make the water change easier. My goal is to do weekly water changes, I better go ahead and order my basic pipe tonight so that I can have it by the weekend.
i use a basic version of this without the pump in it (i use my mouth to create a siphon, so idk about the bulb)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-12 212140.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-12 212140.png
    399.4 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe I remember the InTank media basket filling up like this before. The refugium side is normal and the pump chamber is normal, thank God for everyone’s help!
I’ve lifted the InTank media basket out and examined it and it looks to be fine but I feel like before the water change, this section wouldn’t overfill. I replaced the filter floss this weekend, so I’m sure it’s ok good shape. Any ideas?

Everything is running normal, perhaps I shouldn’t overthink it. I’m considering pulling up a cot and sleeping beside the tank tonight. Lol!

Attachments

• 9CD3A8F5-7B80-477F-9641-DA3778331FE2.jpeg
    9CD3A8F5-7B80-477F-9641-DA3778331FE2.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best investment you can make is in a pair of graduated buckets for your water changes. That way you can measure exactly how much water you’ve removed. Then you can fill up the other bucket with new salt water, warmed up to temp to the same mark on the bucket, pour it into the tank and be done.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best investment you can make is in a pair of graduated buckets for your water changes. That way you can measure exactly how much water you’ve removed. Then you can fill up the other bucket with new salt water, warmed up to temp to the same mark on the bucket, pour it into the tank and be done.

I use a 20G Brute trash can for my water changes. I marked it myself at the 20 G mark. I find it easier for measuring the salt if I know exactly how much water I am mixing.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe I remember the InTank media basket filling up like this before. The refugium side is normal and the pump chamber is normal, thank God for everyone’s help!
I’ve lifted the InTank media basket out and examined it and it looks to be fine but I feel like before the water change, this section wouldn’t overfill. I replaced the filter floss this weekend, so I’m sure it’s ok good shape. Any ideas?

Everything is running normal, perhaps I shouldn’t overthink it. I’m considering pulling up a cot and sleeping beside the tank tonight. Lol!
the water change might have pushed sand into the filter floss clogging it up. If you have any rodi water or leftover saltwater you can wring the filter floss out in that and it should help flow

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the water change might have pushed sand into the filter floss clogging it up. If you have any rodi water or leftover saltwater you can wring the filter floss out in that and it should help flow
Thx!!! I’ll do this today. I’m all out of water at the moment. I’ll have to make a store run today. With all that’s going on I’m definitely not ready for a rodi system and making my own saltwater yet. Baby steps for me from now on. I believe I have a lot to focus on at the moment. But you all have been incredibly helpful!!!!

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back