Help! I drilled my return pipe hole way too low in my tank.

OP
OP
T

thatfatdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm. I would have gone with a bulkhead and cap instead if I didn't want to use the bottom as a return. Could have also used it for a quick drain for water changes.

I agree that bulkhead and cap could've worked well. But honestly I did not drill the hole well at all - it was pretty messy if you looked at it from the outside, and there was a very tiny crack near the surface coming from the hole. So putting a bulkhead on it would have increased stress on the glass and could have cracked.

Also, when I put in the bulkhead on the new hole, I was dumb enough to paint the back first and then put the bulkhead, so it didn't make a good seal and it leaked! So I'm even more glad that the leak was in a hole up above so not as much water leaked onto the floor.

As for draining the tank from the lower hole for water changes - the tank is about 3" from the wall, so I could not really drain the tank from the back. That could've worked if I had drilled the side.

All in all, I'm really happy with how it turned out and my fish and livestock seem happy so far, too!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back