Help, I have a 48" deep tank and want to support a reef

georgejust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80x30x48 inch tank (approximately 450 gallons) and installed it in my living room. I'm successfully running it as a FOWLR tank and now I want to convert it over time to support corals and other inverts and get more of an actual reef up and running -- I'm not insane and I know 40+ inches of depth is a problem.

I'm completely stuck on lighting this thing -- because it's in my living room I want the lights as close to the surface as possible, I have plenty of head room for heat dissipation but don't want a lighting rig as part of the decor, so I'll have to hide it.

Any suggestions are welcome ---- I have live rock formed up to about 24" of the surface, so I know I can reach that --- most of the graphs I've seen significantly flatten below 18" or so, so I'm also wondering how much more the 2 more feet of water depth will effect the light penetration.

Thanks all

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because it's in my living room I want the lights as close to the surface as possible, I have plenty of head room for heat dissipation but don't want a lighting rig as part of the decor, so I'll have to hide it.

So are hanging lights out of the question?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80x30x48 inch tank (approximately 450 gallons) and installed it in my living room. I'm successfully running it as a FOWLR tank and now I want to convert it over time to support corals and other inverts and get more of an actual reef up and running -- I'm not insane and I know 40+ inches of depth is a problem.

I'm completely stuck on lighting this thing -- because it's in my living room I want the lights as close to the surface as possible, I have plenty of head room for heat dissipation but don't want a lighting rig as part of the decor, so I'll have to hide it.

Any suggestions are welcome ---- I have live rock formed up to about 24" of the surface, so I know I can reach that --- most of the graphs I've seen significantly flatten below 18" or so, so I'm also wondering how much more the 2 more feet of water depth will effect the light penetration.

Thanks all
Get 4 of these with 400W bulbs and call it a great day!

OP
OP
georgejust

georgejust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because it's in my living room I want the lights as close to the surface as possible, I have plenty of head room for heat dissipation but don't want a lighting rig as part of the decor, so I'll have to hide it.

So are hanging lights out of the question?
Not completely, but not preferred

Back