Help i have a very Foggy tank

Baileyshouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone help me figure out what this is and how to fix it. I’ve done water changes, added carbon, changed filter socks, tried different pads and sponges and it’s just worsening.

69AC96C5-A63F-4889-B53C-F6923A941B71.jpeg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us what your inhabitants are? Any anemones, macro algae, or any chemical dosing your'e doing?

Three things to look into that I typically see cause fogginess (assuming you didn't stir up the sand):
1. Bacterial bloom (Watch your PH levels)
2. Caulerpa going sexual
3. Anemone spawning

OP
OP
Baileyshouse

Baileyshouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two mocha clowns, one fox face, one lavender tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue hippo tang, 1 purple hammer, 2 ricordias, 1 zoa colony, 2 blood shrimps one cleaner shrimp and a sand sifting starfish. I havent dosed any chemicals, well actually scratch that, i tried using Kent pro clear to see if it would clear the tank but no luck there. I got my water tested at the LFS and everything checked out as per what they say

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this dosing recent? It sounds like this may be a reaction from the pro clear. A quick glance at KM Pro Clear directions returns this:

"If the tank is extremely cloudy, double the dose but do not use more than two doses per week. Do not use in freshwater.

KENT Marine Pro-Clear is not an algaecide and will have no effect on hair or slime algae.

To prevent cloudy water avoid overcrowding, do not overfeed fish, perform regular water changes and maintain sufficient filtration and water circulation.

Use KENT Marine Poly Ox if tank is cloudy from being overloaded by dissolved organic matter in the system. Then, wait 24 hours before using this product."

OP
OP
Baileyshouse

Baileyshouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhh i think maybe it’s either that or bacterial bloom. Is there anything i can do for the bloom?

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the system been up and running? Is it a relatively new tank ( less than 4-6 months old). If so, it could very easily be a bacterial bloom and part of the initial cycle.

What sort or substrate are you using? Did you wash it before putting it in the tank? Do you maybe have too much flow in the tank? Place a few gallons in bucket and see if it clears up in 24 hours (in other words, if silt settles out of the water.

I’m by no means an expert, but these are a few of my thoughts.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhh i think maybe it’s either that or bacterial bloom. Is there anything i can do for the bloom?

I have read that one method of combating bacterial blooms is with the use of a high quality UV sterilizer. I’ve also read about this item called the green killing machine? I know this can be found in amazon. Give that a look!

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my opinion, wait it out.

Something larger than that bacteria that eats the bacteria will bloom and consume it all. Or, the nutrients that are feeding the bloom will be consumed.

If you go with a UV sterilizer, just make sure to buy one that is the right size and not too small. As I understand it, a sterilizer that is too small essentially won’t do anything because a sizable population of bacteria will continue to breed and grow, but I’ve never used one before.

How many days has your water been cloudy?

OP
OP
Baileyshouse

Baileyshouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the system been up and running? Is it a relatively new tank ( less than 4-6 months old). If so, it could very easily be a bacterial bloom and part of the initial cycle.

What sort or substrate are you using? Did you wash it before putting it in the tank? Do you maybe have too much flow in the tank? Place a few gallons in bucket and see if it clears up in 24 hours (in other words, if silt settles out of the water.

I’m by no means an expert, but these are a few of my thoughts.
My tank is about 5.5 months old. I’m using the live sand from Caribsea, i didn’t clean it out before putting it in the tank because i thought it’d kill the bacteria. I think that i might actually have too little flow because the only flow is what’s coming from the return pump, I’ve been hesitant to add any wave makers because i feel it will turn into a whirlpool since the tank is a cylinder

OP
OP
Baileyshouse

Baileyshouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that one method of combating bacterial blooms is with the use of a high quality UV sterilizer. I’ve also read about this item called the green killing machine? I know this can be found in amazon. Give that a look!
Will do, thank you so much!

OP
OP
Baileyshouse

Baileyshouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, wait it out.

Something larger than that bacteria that eats the bacteria will bloom and consume it all. Or, the nutrients that are feeding the bloom will be consumed.

If you go with a UV sterilizer, just make sure to buy one that is the right size and not too small. As I understand it, a sterilizer that is too small essentially won’t do anything because a sizable population of bacteria will continue to breed and grow, but I’ve never used one before.

How many days has your water been cloudy?
Yeah i read somewhere else that waiting it out is the best option but it’s been cloudy for like three weeks and I’m ready to dump the whole thing already

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By just looking at the picture I would assume it’s a bacteria bloom.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would've expected to bypass by now. Two weeks is about the time frame for waiting it out.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back