Help I have absolutely no idea what this is

CharMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2393C0EC-972A-44F8-A4A6-B9AC7BF35310.jpeg
I just woke up to my fish tank and this is sitting in the front. Does anyone know what this is? What should I do? How do I get rid of it? Is it bad? Also don’t mind the algae I’m working on getting rid of it

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a macro algae to me, but my morning brain can't for the life of me recall the name or even where I have seen this so I can't even say for sure that it is algae. Can you pull it out and get some better pics? Is there some reason why a big piece of macro algae would show up unexpectedly in your display?

OP
OP
CharMasta

CharMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a macro algae to me, but my morning brain can't for the life of me recall the name or even where I have seen this so I can't even say for sure that it is algae. Can you pull it out and get some better pics? Is there some reason why a big piece of macro algae would show up unexpectedly in your display?
Wait are you saying that the worm looking thing in the front is algae? Sorry I’m new to reefing and learning everyday!

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is one of those things that I've seen a number of times but can't exactly recall which could have to do with the length of time since I've last seen it, my poor memory, or the fact that my brain doesn't function in the morning. So it's kinda like thinking that your old coworkers name is Ben but maybe it's John...A better picture in white light out of the tank could help. Be careful, wear gloves. Also do you have a refugium or any newly added live rock?

OP
OP
CharMasta

CharMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So
It is one of those things that I've seen a number of times but can't exactly recall which could have to do with the length of time since I've last seen it, my poor memory, or the fact that my brain doesn't function in the morning. So it's kinda like thinking that your old coworkers name is Ben but maybe it's John...A better picture in white light out of the tank could help. Be careful, wear gloves. Also do you have a refugium or any newly added live rock
So I just got home and it’s gone so I can’t take a picture. I’m guessing it just moved

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
spaghetti worm ? @KJ ?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that rule out algae? You can see the hair algae pushed pretty hard from the flow and it obviously got pushed their somehow. But yeah it seems like it could be a spaghetti worm but what is the white thing? My guess if it is a spaghetti worm is that it is eating something off of whatever the white thing is...crab shell?

OP
OP
CharMasta

CharMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that rule out algae? You can see the hair algae pushed pretty hard from the flow and it obviously got pushed their somehow. But yeah it seems like it could be a spaghetti worm but what is the white thing? My guess if it is a spaghetti worm is that it is eating something off of whatever the white thing is...crab shell?
Yes that is a crab shell

OP
OP
CharMasta

CharMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would definitely say spaghetti worm, you can see its spaghetti like tentacles that I thought was bleached out hair algae but on closer inspection it certainly looks like a spaghetti. They are a safe CuC member.
How would it get in my tank? Through coral?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a common hitchhiker, typically come through live rock or in macroalgae but they could come with coral as well, especially if there is any substantial amount of rock.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk how big the tank is but my leopard wrasse ate all of mine, melanurus should eat them too

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes the worms bother a coral a bit but dont do actual harm

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back