Help I left coral in dip too long

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I killed my Xenia from leaving it in the dip too long and probably being too aggressive rinsing it off, I also placed the entire rock into the dip. Anyway I realized after the water cleared that the Xenia was dying and pieces were slothing off so I removed it and used a net to skim out as much dead pieces as possible
I have regular carbon in a bag in the back of the tank but wonder if there’s something better or more affective I can use to help clean the water.
I’ll also do a 20 percent water change today
Advice ?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rock out of the tank. You never dip rock in coral dip. It will absorb the dip. I would rinse the rock well and place it in a bucket of saltwater for a few days and give it another rinse before placing it in the dt. I would do another water change.

What fish and coral are in the tank? Are they okay today?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rock out of the tank. You never dip rock in coral dip. It will absorb the dip. I would rinse the rock well and place it in a bucket of saltwater for a few days and give it another rinse before placing it in the dt. I would do another water change.

I already removed it, I was more concerned over the coral dying and releasing toxins in the tank
I have one fish inverts and a few green mushrooms

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also dipped the rock covered in mushrooms, the mushrooms are alive, should I remove it from the tank for a few days ? It’s about the size of a pancake covered in green mushrooms. (See photo)There’s also two other rocks I also dipped before moving, those I can soak in saltwater a few days then rinse the one with the mushrooms I have a tank with a light I can place it in as well
After a few days will it be safe to return them to the tank ?
I wanted to be sure not to transfer any pests when I upgraded and had no idea I couldn’t dip the entire rock
I’m glad I learned that lesson sooner then later
Thank you
805AC610-E6C4-4CEF-B2A9-A364DF523E94.jpeg

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already removed it, I was more concerned over the coral dying and releasing toxins in the tank
I have one fish inverts and a few green mushrooms
Xenia don’t have any toxins. If they die they just die. But if you figure out how to kill it people will pay for that knowledge

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it in coral dip rx for a few hours, rinse aggressively in rodi water and it’s gone
That rock was completely covered in Xenia now it’s gone and I doubt it’ll revive itself
image.jpg

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even small frag rocks that have drags attached?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch! OP if this is what those red blurs are in your previous picture, you already have a serious pest problem. :(
That’s why I dipped the rocks before moving them and I filtered the water through a filter sock before transferring it to the new tank.
How will I know when it’s safe to use the rocks that I left in the dip ?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have enough to warrant a blue velvet nudibranch. They will eat those things, it is all that they eat. It will need to be removed once it has eaten them all.
The species will come with the expert only tag line, this is due to planaria being about the only thing they eat, it should do quite well while there are lots of them in your tank.
Pretty little things too
1635257308123.png

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped everything before I moved into another tank, throughout the sand and have new sand and 80% is new water I filtered the salt water I transferred into the new tank with a filter sock before I used it in the new tank.
I ended up removing all the rocks because they leeched the dip although I’m planning on using them once they’ve soaked a few days in salt water
Would I still have planeria after basically starting over ?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped everything before I moved into another tank, throughout the sand and have new sand and 80% is new water I filtered the salt water I transferred into the new tank with a filter sock before I used it in the new tank.
I ended up removing all the rocks because they leeched the dip although I’m planning on using them once they’ve soaked a few days in salt water
Would I still have planeria after basically starting over ?
If they are still in saltwater they will not die. You would need to dry the rock out for them to die and I have no idea how long it would need to by dry to kill those devil spawns
Freshwater would likely kill them too but again I don't know how long
You could treat them in flatworm exit in the other saltwater, that would kill them but I'd do several treatments. It wont harm the rock as long as no livestock is in there, the planaria release a lot of toxin when they die so while the medication is reef safe it is not recommended to do it in a tank with a large infestation.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have plenty of other rock to use that wasn’t in the infected tank am I better off just using them and not putting The infected rocks back ?
will dip not kill them ?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have plenty of other rock to use that wasn’t in the infected tank am I better off just using them and not putting The infected rocks back ?
will dip not kill them ?
Dip will kill them but likely not all of them (some will get back into the tank). You can put new rock in the tank but if any planaria are left in there in the sand or the filter or on the glass anywhere, there will be another outbreak.
I think I see some down in the sand in the first photo

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip will kill them but likely not all of them (some will get back into the tank). You can put new rock in the tank but if any planaria are left in there in the sand or the filter or on the glass anywhere, there will be another outbreak.
I no longer have the tank that was infected, I upgraded to a new tank, I did use some of the water but probably only 20 % and after I found out the rock had dip probably getting into the tank I did another big water change
The sand and rock is new

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer have the tank that was infected, I upgraded to a new tank, I did use some of the water but probably only 20 % and after I found out the rock had dip probably getting into the tank I did another big water change
The sand and rock is new
ohh gotcha. Does the new tank have livestock? If it does not, using the new rock and a course of salifert flatworm exit would be wise and would likely take care of any that made it thru.
Let the old infested rock dry for a week or two and it should be safe to use again, or you could also treat it with FW exit.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back