HELP i think i have red bugs

crazydays

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500gal system, all my SPS have had little to no polyp extension. Today i see little orange like spots moving around on some of my sps. did some research looks like red bugs.....
Said i can treat with interceptor, but will it kill all my hermit crabs and snails? (around 600 each) Treat the tank or take out the coral around 30 colonies and 25 + frags????? any thoughts or help!

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it's possible that YES, it'll kill your hermit crabs/shrimp/some snails etc. treating IN TANK is much more succesful. I actually treat my entire 200 every 6 months, just as a precaution. My Emerald Crabs have survived every treatment for a couple of years. I have lost some shrimp and had others survive. My snails have almost always survived, or I've experienced minimal loss. I don't have Hermit Crabs so can't comment on that.

I usually try to catch and remove my Scarlet and Blood Cleaner Shrimp, moving them to another tank during treatment, but I never catch them all. In fact, I've never been able to catch my pair of Blood Shrimp and they've always survived. I've lost Peppermint Shrimp to the treatment and I've lost 1 Scarlet Shrimp.

To me, KNOWING that I'll never give someone cooties, when selling/trading corals, is well worth it to me!

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will not effect your clams. The only starfish in my tanks are Asterinas and Mini Brittle stars. I've never had a huge population of either so can't really comment on starfish.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The treatment will more than likely kill any commensal coral crabs as well.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, I do a full tank treatment, every 6 months, as a precautonary measure only. I treat a 200 gallon with a complete tablet, which is an overdose. I do not do an extra water change, though it's recommended. I just do my next scheduled water change.

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on interceptor, you need a quick fix because it sounds like there is an infestation. If you wait too long it will be too late and your SPS will start losing flesh and browning out. Once you get your tank treated, it is a good precautionary measure to dip all your newly acquired SPS in a interceptor bath before adding to your tank. One of our customers got a few red bugs after a frag swap and we sold him a half dozen dragon face pipefish which totally eradicated all his red bugs. He still keeps them in there as a precautionary measure. Goodluck

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else herd of interceptor being take off the shelves yet? From what I know, it's not available! Don't know why yet, but hope it is accessible again soon!

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else herd of interceptor being take off the shelves yet? From what I know, it's not available! Don't know why yet, but hope it is accessible again soon!

I can still get it from our vet, I would assume it's still available. A lot of people use this for their dogs, I mean a LOT.

BlueDartReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When searching for the treatment myself, I was told Interceptor had been pulled out of production and replaced by products not containing Milbemycin Oxime. I found a vet that was willing to sell me the pill (without a prescription). So I bought 10 pills.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I've dosed the whole tank. I must likely will again soon. I have them now and honestly My corals are doing great. If I see a piece with a lot on them and it's not attached I'll pull it out and dip it. I don't feel like taking apart the tank to catch the skunks, I have pistols under my sand I'll never find, and I have to many neat little acro crabs right now that are living in corals that are encrusted to my rock work.. Eventually (or if I ever start to see a decline) I'll cave and dose the tank.

Honestly I've always felt that Red Bugs have been given a lot worse reputation then they deserve, but dosed under the guise of "better to be safe then sorry".

Last edited:

MadReefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told it is regulated by the state(florida) at the vet i got mine from. I also nuked my tank for 3 weeks with it (75gl mix reef). I lost a handful of snails and hermits at the most maybe 10 of each. think my pods where hurt the most if anything but there easy to replace.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interceptor has never been "on the shelves." It's always been a prescription. You will find that its availability varies, by region. For instance, here in Washington state, Heart Worms are more prevelant in dogs, on the east side of the state than on the west side. Because of this, here in Spokane, Interceptor is much more available than in Seattle area. In Seattle area, Heart Worms is very rare, so most Vets don't carry Interceptor.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back