Help ID’ing spot on tomini tang

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone can help me determine what this spot is on my juvenile tomini tang. Been in my tank for about 1.5 weeks was quarantined by lfs prior to purchase.

It has been a bit of a rough first week for this guy as my clowns are breeding and did not take nicely to him when I introduced in tank. I removed them after two days. He had what appeared at this point two minor bite marks on his side and his rear fin had been nipped in the corner. Since then the bite marks have healed and his sides look perfect. From what I can tell his fin looks to be healing slowly as well. This mark on his forehead appeared two days ago. I can’t tell if I need to treat the fish for something and qt or if he’s just bumped his head into the rocks or something. Eating and behaving normally.

Thanks!

22B9E54E-07D8-4F15-A84F-85B7B0E010DC.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi ,does look like just a scrape ,fins look clear ,but let's get some expert eyes here.
#fishmedic

OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you try to get some pictures on white lights?
It looks like some sort of bacterial infection, but it’s hard to tell when everything is so blue.
Yeah I will try to get better pictures later. I am heading out to work and I have a g2 radion so I have to bootcamp windows and plug in it’s a hassle. Would a video under these lights help? Can I post vids on here?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my signature, there is a link - with some questions - you can answer to help us help you.

In the meantime - I agree with the others - could be an injury - could be related to something from QT. Key question - (besides the picture with white light) - is it getting better, worse, etc. Second do you have a hospital tank available - and antibiotics - such as kanaplex? if needed

PS - welcome to R2R - nice tank and corals

OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my signature, there is a link - with some questions - you can answer to help us help you.

In the meantime - I agree with the others - could be an injury - could be related to something from QT. Key question - (besides the picture with white light) - is it getting better, worse, etc. Second do you have a hospital tank available - and antibiotics - such as kanaplex? if needed

PS - welcome to R2R - nice tank and corals
Hi, thanks :). How do I see your signature? I can’t find it anywhere and I can’t view your profile. I checked my preferences and it’s selected to see signatures on posts.

I don’t have a hospital tank but I do have a 10 gallon tank I can throw together real quick with a hob filter and some seeded rock and filter media from my main tank sump. I Should be able to access the necessary medication around here at the lfs as I am in Seattle and there’s 3-4 good stores around here.

this spot I would say has gotten worse between yesterday and today, although idk if that’s long enough to know for sure if it’s getting worse or not. My thought was to wait another day or two but I was slightly worried about letting it go too far and not being able to save him if treatment is needed. I will get the pictures this evening and post an update then as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, thanks :). How do I see your signature? I can’t find it anywhere and I can’t view your profile. I checked my preferences and it’s selected to see signatures on posts.

I don’t have a hospital tank but I do have a 10 gallon tank I can throw together real quick with a hob filter and some seeded rock and filter media from my main tank sump. I Should be able to access the necessary medication around here at the lfs as I am in Seattle and there’s 3-4 good stores around here.

this spot I would say has gotten worse between yesterday and today, although idk if that’s long enough to know for sure if it’s getting worse or not. My thought was to wait another day or two but I was slightly worried about letting it go too far and not being able to save him if treatment is needed. I will get the pictures this evening and post an update then as well.
1. The signature is listed below - its below the part when I say 'if I give you recommendations about fish disease..... There are 2 links.
2. Your 10 gallon tank would be fine for a hospital tank - monitoring ammonia - ayirstone, etc
3. I would as @Sharkbait19 (perhaps others) said - treat it as an infection. Get the antibiotics - perhaps set up the other tank - if there is any indication of worsening - put it in. Lets ask @Jay Hemdal but yeah - be prepared. Uronema is extremely difficult in a number of ways - as the article I quoted said the important thing is preventing problem in the rest of the tank. Thats another topic of discussion. Hope this helps

OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, was finally able to get some photos and a video. Here is the info: (Some white spots appeared on the side of him between my post this morning and this evening - see photos).

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 48 Gallons
Filtration type: Wet/Dry Sump with bubble magus curve 5 skimmer
Lighting: Radion XR30W Gen 2
How long has the aquarium been established? 1 year
Digital image of the aquarium under white light:
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 9.12.47 PM.png

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature: 78-79 degrees Fahreinheit
pH: 8.2
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.025 SG
Ammonia: Don't Check
Nitrite: Don't Check
Nitrate: 6 ppm
Phosphorus: 0.17 ppm (was battling Dinos previously and let nutrients get up, hence the algae everywhere in photo, currently lowering slowly by water changes bi weekly)
Copper: Not in use

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? No
Are any invertebrates affected? No
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4) Have not checked. Appears normal
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? None
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light - Attached
- if needed, indicate by drawing a line around the area in question.
Short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well):

Attachments

• tempImageZA3phx.png
    tempImageZA3phx.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • tempImage8paUkg.png
    tempImage8paUkg.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • tempImageNJV70f.png
    tempImageNJV70f.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • tempImageqpp0L3.png
    tempImageqpp0L3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • tempImageGmULD3.png
    tempImageGmULD3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 47

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, was finally able to get some photos and a video. Here is the info: (Some white spots appeared on the side of him between my post this morning and this evening - see photos).

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 48 Gallons
Filtration type: Wet/Dry Sump with bubble magus curve 5 skimmer
Lighting: Radion XR30W Gen 2
How long has the aquarium been established? 1 year
Digital image of the aquarium under white light:
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 9.12.47 PM.png

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature: 78-79 degrees Fahreinheit
pH: 8.2
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.025 SG
Ammonia: Don't Check
Nitrite: Don't Check
Nitrate: 6 ppm
Phosphorus: 0.17 ppm (was battling Dinos previously and let nutrients get up, hence the algae everywhere in photo, currently lowering slowly by water changes bi weekly)
Copper: Not in use

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? No
Are any invertebrates affected? No
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4) Have not checked. Appears normal
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? None
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light - Attached
- if needed, indicate by drawing a line around the area in question.
Short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well):

Thanks!!!! Perfect answers - and pictures.

Would you say its getting better or worse today?
Is it's behavior better worse or the same?

I think that it would be reasonable to observe unless there is worsening. Or if there is any change in behavior/feeding. In the case of negative changes I would treat with an antibiotic such as kanaplex (in a hospital tank)

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one pic showing the damage on the forehead (#6) makes me think it's HLLE. I was told that it can look like ich but centralizes around the face area. I am an uneducated bumpkin though, so I'll let the real experts chime in. Good luck!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - I did not see the video until just now - the jerking swimming and the fin movements - is that new (do you think it could be due to the different light?) - or is it something thats developed/is persisting?

OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - I did not see the video until just now - the jerking swimming and the fin movements - is that new (do you think it could be due to the different light?) - or is it something thats developed/is persisting?
The swimming pattern I think was weird due to the lighting. I had to turn the lights back on and put food in after they were all peaced out for the night so I think he was on alert. I have seen occasional fin twitch but overall he swims pretty normal. I have noticed he seems more scared in general compared to the first couple days on the tank but I was attributing that to the harassment from the clownfish the first couple days and also since I have 3 young boys so there’s a lot of activity around the tank during the day.

The spots this morning appear to be the same as last night. I guess at this point I’ll set the hospital tank up just in case, observe and update accordingly.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The swimming pattern I think was weird due to the lighting. I had to turn the lights back on and put food in after they were all peaced out for the night so I think he was on alert. I have seen occasional fin twitch but overall he swims pretty normal. I have noticed he seems more scared in general compared to the first couple days on the tank but I was attributing that to the harassment from the clownfish the first couple days and also since I have 3 young boys so there’s a lot of activity around the tank during the day.

The spots this morning appear to be the same as last night. I guess at this point I’ll set the hospital tank up just in case, observe and update accordingly.
Thanks.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fin "twitching" is pretty normal for all Tomini tangs. Mine does the same thing. It appeared pretty normal in the video from what I can tell. Other than maybe being a big jumpy, but I think that was probably due to having turned all the flow in the tank off. The water in the video appeared to be pretty still, so I'm guessing you turned off the flow to take the video?

The fish also appears to have a nip/bite taken out of its tail fin. Is that also from the clowns previously, or are there still other fish in the tank with the tomini?

OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fin "twitching" is pretty normal for all Tomini tangs. Mine does the same thing. It appeared pretty normal in the video from what I can tell. Other than maybe being a big jumpy, but I think that was probably due to having turned all the flow in the tank off. The water in the video appeared to be pretty still, so I'm guessing you turned off the flow to take the video?

The fish also appears to have a nip/bite taken out of its tail fin. Is that also from the clowns previously, or are there still other fish in the tank with the tomini?
Yeah I turned off the flow and put frozen food in to get him to come out so he was more jumpy than normal. The lower bite on the rear fin happened on the first day and upper bite right before I pulled the clowns. There are other fish in the tank but I have not noticed any new “attack” marks since I pulled the clowns. In the tank currently is the tomini tang, yellow wrasse, blue green chromis and a fire fish.

OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

All fish still acting normal and eating. Spots on side of tomini are gone now and a new one appeared on the head area above eyes - see photo. Tail also seems a little more damaged or deteriorated on bottom, unsure what this is.

I also noticed my male clownfish has a white spot on his face - see photo. Looks similar to what is on the tomini even though there in a diff tank and only shared for two days.

Planning to keep monitoring for now. Hoping not to have to treat all the fish as I’m not sure how I’d go about that, if I could treat altogether and what size tank would be best since I’m assuming the 10 gal will be too small.

Anyways just an update. I appreciate all the help last week!
DC221BD7-0445-46EF-BFB6-6D17B99171E7.jpeg

Attachments

• 1708CE18-7890-4227-BCCE-378443ED8FAF.jpeg
    1708CE18-7890-4227-BCCE-378443ED8FAF.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 2144CB04-2CE9-4092-90CB-909B75C95EFD.jpeg
    2144CB04-2CE9-4092-90CB-909B75C95EFD.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 34
  • C896E02D-7D1B-4946-B768-2CBBD71CE941.jpeg
    C896E02D-7D1B-4946-B768-2CBBD71CE941.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 41

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back