Help ID and Possible Treatment

ShaneO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got just got this purple fire fish this Friday and tonight doing some tank maintenance noticed this spot. Its got a black head and clear twisty leg looking things coming off of it. Tried to get a good pic.

Hoping some of the experts on here can help out. I'm a newb in the hobby so any information would be greatly appreciated.

20200223_181940.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see on this end. Pics without the blues on are much easier to view. Does it look like the pic below?

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 9.46.38 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got just got this purple fire fish this Friday and tonight doing some tank maintenance noticed this spot. Its got a black head and clear twisty leg looking things coming off of it. Tried to get a good pic.

Hoping some of the experts on here can help out. I'm a newb in the hobby so any information would be greatly appreciated.

20200223_181940.jpg
Looks to be bacterial

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dactylogyrus trematodes

These are a type of fluke or flatworm, but not one that we encounter every day. For some reason they seem to pop up on Firefish more frequently than other species. Hmmm.

The usual treatments for flukes like Prazipro, General Cure, Freshwater dips and Formalin will all work for this.

OP
OP
ShaneO

ShaneO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G thanks so much! I'll try and pick up some prazipro. Catching this guy to do a freshwater dip isn't likely in the cards. Can I treat in the DT?

Thank you so much for your help and time

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are so quick and difficult to catch as they dive into hiding spots. Almost impossible to get them out without tearing apart your tank.

Prazipro is reef safe except for Feather Dusters, bristleworms that may be in your tank that dying off could spike the ammonia. Sometimes you have bristleworms without even knowing they are in your tank. At night using a red light you can often spot them. Some have noted corals reacting a bit but usually briefly.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G thanks so much! I'll try and pick up some prazipro. Catching this guy to do a freshwater dip isn't likely in the cards. Can I treat in the DT?

Thank you so much for your help and time
Always good to run a powerhead that's aimed up at the surface so that it is actively rippling the water's surface to increase O2 exchange when dosing Prazipro. Prazipro uses a chemical, oxybispropanol, to keep the praziquantel in solution. Oxybis "uses" O2 from your tank's water column to the point where it can negatively effect your fish's breathing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back