Slimy and stringy but no air bubbles
Possible diatom bloom again?
Cyano?
etc?
should i be worried or do i just let it run its course
If
Please Help cant afford another tank crash
thanks in advance

EE7043C6-52F5-480E-A505-FB705FBFA063.jpeg 405F7369-9B18-4123-A146-592798FE9A02.jpeg A5C89DA9-4D81-496D-8C57-0EDC41D41B62.jpeg F6A2A884-CBC2-4AD9-B071-9D91E8486415.jpeg 80208FBA-CF8F-4D77-8A4F-52AB1D02BB18.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5338.MOV
    11.2 MB

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt look like diatoms to me, just some sort of nuisance algae. A couple of the shots look like hair algae kind of. Does it wipe off the rocks pretty easily?

Still a pretty fresh tank, how did you cycle it initially?

OP
OP
N

nutella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt look like diatoms to me, just some sort of nuisance algae. A couple of the shots look like hair algae kind of. Does it wipe off the rocks pretty easily?

Still a pretty fresh tank, how did you cycle it initially?
Yes it wipes off fairly easily and i think turbo snails eat it but not as fast As it grows, what should i do to remedy this its getting pretty thick.

i used the shrimp method

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could be diatoms. They are generally a part of setting up a new tank (called the ugly stage) and once the tank gets more established they will go away on their own.

You could continue to blow them off with a turkey basketer daily or every other, or you could try some sort of tank cleaner. https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/reef-vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-16-oz-underwater-creations/ this is a new product that is supposed to help clean a tank and rid it of algae. I cannot say how to use it or if it works as I have not used it, but have heard some good things about it.

This hobby is full of patience and generally rushing a tank along to get corals and fish in it result in unwanted algae blooms and deaths of these wonderful creatures, regardless the alga blooms will show up in the early stages and sometimes we just have to wait them out.

By the way what size is the tank?

OP
OP
N

nutella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could be diatoms. They are generally a part of setting up a new tank (called the ugly stage) and once the tank gets more established they will go away on their own.

You could continue to blow them off with a turkey basketer daily or every other, or you could try some sort of tank cleaner. https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/reef-vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-16-oz-underwater-creations/ this is a new product that is supposed to help clean a tank and rid it of algae. I cannot say how to use it or if it works as I have not used it, but have heard some good things about it.

This hobby is full of patience and generally rushing a tank along to get corals and fish in it result in unwanted algae blooms and deaths of these wonderful creatures, regardless the alga blooms will show up in the early stages and sometimes we just have to wait them out.

By the way what size is the tank?

i used a Turkey baster to blow them off before turns out it was cyano and it spread throughout my tank :( the ugly phase doesn’t bother me as i know its all part of the journey to tank maturity. Im just worried it might cause another tank crash.

42”x30”x24” around 120 gallons with a 80 gallon sump filled about halfway

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its cyano you can use chemiclean. I've used it multiple times and it has worked on some tanks but not on others. I will dose it and if its not clear within 48 hrs ill dose one more time and then do a waterchang as directed.

OP
OP
N

nutella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its cyano you can use chemiclean. I've used it multiple times and it has worked on some tanks but not on others. I will dose it and if its not clear within 48 hrs ill dose one more time and then do a waterchang as directed.
Yeah i heard about chemiclean , thats why i would like to ID this algae/bacteria before doing anything. I dont want to be adding unnecesarry chemicals or Remedies if i dont really have to.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back