OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 0 tds coming out of my ro/di.
So I have been fighting the same for a while. Did all the usual, changed all RODI filters, tried new salt. The only change in my system is I added Gyre pumps which could be exposing areas that did not get flow before. I assume you Test your makeup water and have 0 TDS.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't run GFO and don't freak out about the growth. Allow the tank to build some nutrients and it should go away. Maybe reduce water changes by frequency or percentage.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't run GFO and don't freak out about the growth. Allow the tank to build some nutrients and it should go away. Maybe reduce water changes by frequency or percentage.
Should I stop skimming? I also have a huge chunk of chaeto in my sump.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks size, sump, dosing pump etc.
185g tank, about 75g sump. 2 filter socks that go to reef octopus elite 200 int, from there it goes to another chamber where my chaeto is followed by more live rock before hitting the return pump. I've never dosed anything before.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I stop skimming? I also have a huge chunk of chaeto in my sump.
Chaeto is fine. You could turn off the skimmer to help or run a dry skim while the lighs are off to pull any free floating "possible dinos". I've beatin dinos going this route. Its a naturalistic way and its healthy for the tank.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use you ATO to raise PH, that's what I did by mixing the buffer in the RO water.

Don't stop skimming.

How often do you change the water, what salt do you use and have you ever used Microbacter7?

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use you ATO to raise PH, that's what I did by mixing the buffer in the RO water.

Don't stop skimming.

How often do you change the water, what salt do you use and have you ever used Microbacter7?
Usually do weekly water changes on Sundays but haven't done it yesterday do to this issue. I use topic Marin pro salt and have never used microbacter 7.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto is fine. You could turn off the skimmer to help or run a dry skim while the lighs are off to pull any free floating "possible dinos". I've beatin dinos going this route. Its a naturalistic way and its healthy for the tank.
It always seems to be something in this hobby! Cant just sit back and enjoy worry free!

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It always seems to be something in this hobby! Cant just sit back and enjoy worry free!
All part of the fun to keep us on our toes.
I had good results from using 5ml of Brightwell Microbacter7 daily and turning the skimmer off for 4 hours after adding it. I also raised the PH and siphoned out as much as I could through a filter sock. I also kept up with my normal maintenance with weekly water changes of 10% and didn't touch my lights. I also ran GFO during this period, but not necessarily affected the outcome.

I would say that a combination attack worked and don't think there is a right or wrong way to deal with it.

Some people say to not do water changes because it keeps nutrients in the water and the dino can feed off some salts. The idea that creating enough nutrients and biodiversity will out compete the dino and it will die off, is a valid method.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they appear to be less obvious when the lights are off?
+1

But diatoms don't generally grow on corals. Plus snails and copepods find diatoms to be tasty.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about my foxface? Seems to pick what he can.
No uncommon. I have a pygmy angel that feeds on a less invasive and non-toxic type of dino that grows on the glass. Yes, I use a microscope on my growths. :)

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No uncommon. I have a pygmy angel that feeds on a less invasive and non-toxic type of dino that grows on the glass. Yes, I use a microscope on my growths. :)
So do I just leave it or should I take a powerhead and blow off all the rock and stir up the sand?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I just leave it or should I take a powerhead and blow off all the rock and stir up the sand?
I think you should leave it. Blow it off the corals but don't touch the sandbed. It's making a stringy web over the sand because it's trapping available nutrients. The zero po4 is a tell tail sign that your tanks microfauna or dino competitors are limited. By increasing nutrients, microorganisms can re-establish to out compete dinos. Essentially making your water dirty will benefit. Can take 2 weeks to a month or so. I think if you act now by not doing anything but feeding fish, you'll see positive changes.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should leave it. Blow it off the corals but don't touch the sandbed. It's making a stringy web over the sand because it's trapping available nutrients. The zero po4 is a tell tail sign that your tanks microfauna or dino competitors are limited. By increasing nutrients, microorganisms can re-establish to out compete dinos. Essentially making your water dirty will benefit. Can take 2 weeks to a month or so. I think if you act now by not doing anything but feeding fish, you'll see positive changes.
So to be clear, by increasing nutrients you mean letting the nitrates get higher? Or what nutrient levels am I raising? And I should continue to skim?

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower blenny is going to town on what he can find on my equipment and rocks.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back