Help ID Fish

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if you guys can help ID this fish for me.

It was left behind at a house and the owner texted me asking if I could pick it up, to me it looks like some sort of Goby but could also be a FW Cichlid.

I am too new to SW to be able to know for sure.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Those aren't my fingers haha

lT9nwoB.jpg

PKB7FQF.jpg

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a picture of it in water? It doesn’t look like a goby to me. The fins don’t look right. The body looks too slender to be a cichlid. Flame tail blenny?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth putting in a reef tank? Would it make a good addition do you think?

It depends on how much of a gambler you are! I don't ever consider dottybacks as a possible tank mate for my "docile" reef tank fish. There are some dottybacks that are less aggressive than others, but they all have the tendency to bully any docile fish you have in your tank; and they are territorial. Some are so aggressive that they will even tangle with a much larger tang. It's really too bad they have such a mean-streak in them since they come in such beautiful colors and are very hardy fish. The other thing to consider is that if this fish does become aggressive in your tank, dottybacks are so difficult to catch in order to remove later.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s what the fish is, I would pass. Dottybacks are about the meanest fish you can get in a body that size. And if you think you might get lucky with a nice one, think again. You won’t. That has been my experience with them, but I’m sure there are plenty of people who have had better experiences. It just depends on how big of a risk taker you are.

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses.
It's a NO for me haha.

I'll take your words for it, and like @Idoc said, so difficult to catch, don't need that headache right now.

Thanks!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back