Help ID hitchhiker on coral

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I was looking at my corals today
and saw this guy on my candy cane. Tried looking online and I’m not sure if it’s a vermetid snail or a type of sponge. Can anyone offer any clarity and advise of what to do? I’m currently in the process of slowly transferring corals to a new tank and have the opportunity to remove any unwanted organisms. Thanks in advance!

9F645BCC-37D5-42B1-9852-D4B51AA96800.jpeg

E2B7DBC8-59F0-47F2-A791-9357AE60F2C5.jpeg

OP
OP
Ocean_dreamer89

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vermatid snail. 1 or 2 is fine but they can multiply rapidly.

look up on the forum how to get rid of them if you want. But nothing to be too concerned about.
Right on that's what I was thinking it was but always like to seek advice. I'm just seeing this one as it's getting easier to find things as I'm removing corals and moving them to my new tank. In your opinion, do you think I should try to remove it before moving it to my new tank? I understand there are several different ways to remove/kill it.

Probably a vermatid snail common and won’t harm anything in your reef tank.
Thank you! I'll be moving it in the near future. Do you think I should try to kill it before moving or remove it while in the process?

If I can avoid pests in my new tank, I would like to try. However with that in mind, I understand that biodiversity is good for a tank and I'm not at all opposed to transferring as much diversity as I can from my old tank to my new one. My old one is almost two years old and is pretty much on auto pilot. It's definitely still has some issues with algae and whatnot, but nothing that's super crazy.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on that's what I was thinking it was but always like to seek advice. I'm just seeing this one as it's getting easier to find things as I'm removing corals and moving them to my new tank. In your opinion, do you think I should try to remove it before moving it to my new tank? I understand there are several different ways to remove/kill it.

Thank you! I'll be moving it in the near future. Do you think I should try to kill it before moving or remove it while in the process?

If I can avoid pests in my new tank, I would like to try. However with that in mind, I understand that biodiversity is good for a tank and I'm not at all opposed to transferring as much diversity as I can from my old tank to my new one. My old one is almost two years old and is pretty much on auto pilot. It's definitely still has some issues with algae and whatnot, but nothing that's super crazy.
You can pick them off with coral tweezers. Or scrape them off with a razor blade.

super ez to remove.
Or just out a dab of glue over the hole

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back