Help id, hydroids? And peanut worm?

Tyang117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Need some help on id. These seem to be growing on my zoas and out of my rocks, they look like 2 different things. One is just a line whereas the other has more of a head. I did try to remove and they are attached fairly well, also there is just to many to remove. Peanut worm in video?

Thank you

20201021_175427.jpg 20201021_175401.jpg

Attachments

• 20201021_184247.mp4
    24.6 MB

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the second photo I see bubble anemone bottom on the LR. Reef safe.
The worm from the video you got it, and usually is reef safe, but the Hydroids..., can't ID them.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Need some help on id. These seem to be growing on my zoas and out of my rocks, they look like 2 different things. One is just a line whereas the other has more of a head. I did try to remove and they are attached fairly well, also there is just to many to remove. Peanut worm in video?

Thank you

20201021_175427.jpg 20201021_175401.jpg
Don’t see anything obvious in pics. Circle what u are referring to or do some new pics.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Video doesn’t play and i do see a possible ball anemone

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave it to load for longer, don't close the tab and it will play ;)

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see what looks like a Ball nem in the video. I have no clue on the worm though.

Grabbed a screen shot of the worm since some couldn't get the video working. Worm is in the red circle.

worm.JPG

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see what looks like a Ball nem in the video. I have no clue on the worm though.

Grabbed a screen shot of the worm since some couldn't get the video working. Worm is in the red circle.

worm.JPG
Peanut worm.

OP
OP
Tyang117

Tyang117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, but hopefully these photos are a little more clear. I believe they're not the same thing as they both seem to grow differently. The ones on the zoas are like spider webs, where the ones on the rock grow straight out, almost looking like feather dusters, but not quite.

Thanks again.

20201022_194357.jpg 20201022_194315.jpg

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture on the right is a Vermetid Snail. They shoot those webs out to catch food. The webs can irritate corals and most consider them a mild pest. They can also cut you open like a scapel when you grab a piece of equipment with one of those on it. There's lots of ways to control, I'd do a search on them here and decide your path. I have no idea what the thing on the left is.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell you the names of them, both are different SP. both can and will irritate your corals and not sure which or both can and will sting your corals.
I try already with both to super glue them, but that don't work, from the web they always find them way to grow up again. Pilling off don't help me too much, after 1-2 months they appear again, don't know any DIP to help, all my DIPs don't help at all.
Usually @vetteguy53081 recommend to up the water stream/current over them, to make them to starve to death. So if you can manage your wave maker or return pump to blow them with a bit higher water flow, that way they can't catch food from the water and will die. For how long that need to happen I'm not sure, but soon I'll try it, after I get them more on the peace of LR where they grow.
And you can move the LR somewhere to be on a higher flow (without changing the wave maker direction).
Abut the vermetid, on the second photo, try to take care of it, it's good to cut it out from the base, because if you stress it it will hide at the end and you can't kill it. this one can bother your palys too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can't tell you the names of them, both are different SP. both can and will irritate your corals and not sure which or both can and will sting your corals.
I try already with both to super glue them, but that don't work, from the web they always find them way to grow up again. Pilling off don't help me too much, after 1-2 months they appear again, don't know any DIP to help, all my DIPs don't help at all.
Usually @vetteguy53081 recommend to up the water stream/current over them, to make them to starve to death. So if you can manage your wave maker or return pump to blow them with a bit higher water flow, that way they can't catch food from the water and will die. For how long that need to happen I'm not sure, but soon I'll try it, after I get them more on the peace of LR where they grow.
And you can move the LR somewhere to be on a higher flow (without changing the wave maker direction).
Abut the vermetid, on the second photo, try to take care of it, it's good to cut it out from the base, because if you stress it it will hide at the end and you can't kill it. this one can bother your palys too.
Yes- aim flow towards the hydroids not at them as if they dislodge will simply relocate.

Osidereefer521

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be doing this wrong, but I take a decent pair of needle nose pliers to it. I go after the entire tube and sometimes a little of the live rock to ensure I got the worm. I had a few on my overflow box previously and I scraped those off as well. Just make sure you grab the full tube! I haven't had any increases in the population with this method, not sure if that luck or correct technique.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back