Help ID-ing white “worm” on rock?

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C7B00879-3222-47E0-B85F-16108D443BE2.jpeg
Hi. Can anyone help me ID that white looking “worm” on the Yuma coral
Rock? I’m not sure if it’s a living thing or not but today I saw it breaking off and squiggling swimming at the top of the tank. It’s white also.

I have a 6 line wrasse in my tank so I would like to know if my 6 line will eat it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pic is too blue to tell what we’re looking at. Please retake under white lights
May be dorvillidae worm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not seeing a worm. I see tubes which would contain tube worms which often have a little feathered fan to capture food

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing a worm. I see tubes which would contain tube worms which often have a little feathered fan to capture food
I dont think those are tubes, maybe my picture/camera wasnt clear enough but I kind of see little legs on the body of it. If it is tube worms, i never see feathers on it

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these are harmless worms. I've seen small white worms like this before in my tank. I forget they're names, but I believe they don't bother anything, and should be a decent CUC. Dragonettes and wrasses would definitely eat them. It also could be mini brittle stars but it is hard to tell.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Usually stuff like that is harmless. These worms look like detrivores. If they wanted the corals, you wouldn't see them. They would be under the shrooms munching away until it was nothing.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these are harmless worms. I've seen small white worms like this before in my tank. I forget they're names, but I believe they don't bother anything, and should be a decent CUC. Dragonettes and wrasses would definitely eat them. It also could be mini brittle stars but it is hard to tell.
Never saw my wrasse eat them but is a relief that its safe. Thank you!

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually stuff like that is harmless. These worms look like detrivores. If they wanted the corals, you wouldn't see them. They would be under the shrooms munching away until it was nothing.
Alright, they look like they are in the rock itself, maybe multiplying in numbers from 2 to 4 now..

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, they look like they are in the rock itself, maybe multiplying in numbers from 2 to 4 now..
There is something in the photo that bothers me. There are tentacles there. It could Be hair algae, or aiptasia. Might want to investigate.

Attachments

• aiptasia.jpeg
    aiptasia.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 226
OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something in the photo that bothers me. There are tentacles there. It could Be hair algae, or aiptasia. Might want to investigate.
Yes I think those are aiptasia, is it bad for a reef tank?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tentacle things could be aiptasia (spreads and stings corals), or fanworms (harmless). Look up both and have a close look at the thing. If it's aiptasia, take the rock out and cover it in supergue.

The white wiggly bits look to me like maybe brittle star legs.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tentacle things could be aiptasia (spreads and stings corals), or fanworms (harmless). Look up both and have a close look at the thing. If it's aiptasia, take the rock out and cover it in supergue.

The white wiggly bits look to me like maybe brittle star legs.
Coming here worried on worms and realising that aiptasia is crazy dangerous, any best way to remove them?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're not that bad unless you let them get way out of control. And even if they do get out of control, some corals/anemones will sting them back just fine. They're usually more of a visual nuisance and a coral irritant, they aren't some horrible little murderous robot that takes a flamethrower to everything.

There are commercial products to kill them, but the easiest way to get rid of it with what's on hand is superglue. Just pull the rock out of the water while wearing gloves, and wait for the aiptasia (be sure it's an aiptasia) to retract into a little dot. When it does, put a drop of liquid superglue over it. Try not to get glue on anything else. The coral will be fine with glue on it, the whatever-that-worm-thing-is (I still think brittle star) might not. The aiptasia will be unable to expand again, and will die. No problem any more.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not notice that. It does look like Aiptasia (the thing behind the white tube worms/normal worms).
There are different species of peppermint shrimp, and some are really good with eating small Aiptasia (but its not guaranteed).
Depending on the type of rock you have and how strong or brittle it is you may be able to chip off a small rock piece under the anemone (to ensure you get the foot off without leaving anything behind).
I've never had Aiptasia, so I cannot give good advice. I hope you can solve the issue :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I think those are aiptasia, is it bad for a reef tank?
Oddly, I didn't get tagged for this.
Anyhow, if you can remove the rock, a dab of superglue where it lives should help. Or f-aiptasia, aiptasia-x, a true peppermint shrimp, who will eat your coral once the aips are gone. . There are many ways to handle killing the animal.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not that bad unless you let them get way out of control. And even if they do get out of control, some corals/anemones will sting them back just fine. They're usually more of a visual nuisance and a coral irritant, they aren't some horrible little murderous robot that takes a flamethrower to everything.

There are commercial products to kill them, but the easiest way to get rid of it with what's on hand is superglue. Just pull the rock out of the water while wearing gloves, and wait for the aiptasia (be sure it's an aiptasia) to retract into a little dot. When it does, put a drop of liquid superglue over it. Try not to get glue on anything else. The coral will be fine with glue on it, the whatever-that-worm-thing-is (I still think brittle star) might not. The aiptasia will be unable to expand again, and will die. No problem any more.
I see, one problem that I can foresee is one polyp has grown in the sand? Im not sure if theres a small rock or soemthing in the sand but it seems to be coming out of the sand, if so, what should I do?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back