Help ID please!

Simon_K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this thing on my live rock, never seen it before and it seems to be just one of it. Any ideas?

IMG_20191117_123603.jpg

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia. There's several ways to get rid of it but it is a nasty little nuissance. It is a wild anemone that can easily spread and take over you're entire tank on hardly any time at all. If you have corals, they can sting your corals to death. There are several ways to kill them. First, shut off all of your pumps, wave makers, powerheads and anything that creates flow..water movement etc. The keeps it from expelling itself to create more in the tank as it feels threatened. They have very sensitive tentacles that retract once it notices something close or threatening. Once it retracts you can :
1. cover it with superglue and that will usually suffocate it out.
2 You can use a few drops of lemon juice in a syringe. Apply directly to the center before it retracts
3. Use aptasia rx, an over the counter medication that is administered by syringe dropping a few drops in the center before it retracts.
4. Use Joe's juice, (my personal favorite) and done just like the lime juice and aptasia rx, administer with the provided syringe. Joe's juice is non toxic and does not harm any other corals and you can kill multiple aptasia at one time. Works almost immediately.
5. You can make up your own killing agent by taking some powered kalkwasher and mixing some rodi water into the powder until it makes a slightly watery paste, then like the rest, administer with a syringe killing only a few aptasia at a time.
6. Hydrogen peroxide, used just like the other agents. Works best if using a needle and inject directly into the stem.
7. A small electrical probe can be bought to zap these pests.
8. Vinegar, also used the same as the other agents, injecting by syringe.
The following are natural ways to rid aptasia:
1. Peppermint shrimp
2. File fish
3. Various butterfly fish especially copper banded butterfly fish
4. Aptasia eating nudibranchs

You want to avoid damaging the integrity of the anemone while using any of these methods. Even the slightest abrasion can release reproductive cells all throughout your tank. These are asexual organisms that can spawn new generations by the dozens with the release of single cells that are infinitely small. I have tried every method I have mentioned except the electrical probe. As previously stated, the Joe's Juice worked perfectly every time. Make sure you shut your powerheads and pumps about 5 minutes before you try and exterminate and leave those pumps and wavemakers off for atleast 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes so that it gives time for your method to take hold and kill your pest.
I hope I covered all bases, and if I missed something or was misinformation, someone please correct me and lead this hobbyist in the right direction. Goodluck! And act swiftly!

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia are not palythoa, they don't carry toxins? I'd also refrain from adding peppermint shrimp as 90 percent of them will eat your LPS. There are some products out there that can be injected into the pest anemones but there's risks with them spreading. Many have had success with berghia nudibranchs. If aptasia have "toxins" like palythoa I'd like to see a link to read up on.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia. There's several ways to get rid of it but it is a nasty little nuissance. It is a wild anemone that can easily spread and take over you're entire tank on hardly any time at all. If you have corals, they can sting your corals to death. They carry toxins, so be careful handling with your hands and touching your face. If there are several and you remove the rock, do so in a well ventilated area as for it can also cause complications breathing in toxins. If you touch your eyes with out washing thoroughly first, it will feel like glass shards in your eyes for days. There are several ways to kill them. First, shut off all of your pumps, wave makers, powerheads and anything that creates flow..water movement etc. The keeps it from expelling itself to create more in the tank as it feels threatened. They have very sensitive tentacles that retract once it notices something close or threatening. Once it retracts you can :
1. cover it with superglue and that will usually suffocate it out.
2 You can use a few drops of lemon juice in a syringe. Apply directly to the center before it retracts
3. Use aptasia rx, an over the counter medication that is administered by syringe dropping a few drops in the center before it retracts.
4. Use Joe's juice, (my personal favorite) and done just like the lime juice and aptasia rx, administer with the provided syringe. Joe's juice is non toxic and does not harm any other corals and you can kill multiple aptasia at one time. Works almost immediately.
5. You can make up your own killing agent by taking some powered kalkwasher and mixing some rodi water into the powder until it makes a slightly watery paste, then like the rest, administer with a syringe killing only a few aptasia at a time.
6. Hydrogen peroxide, used just like the other agents. Works best if using a needle and inject directly into the stem.
7. A small electrical probe can be bought to zap these pests.
8. Vinegar, also used the same as the other agents, injecting by syringe.
The following are natural ways to rid aptasia:
1. Peppermint shrimp
2. File fish
3. Various butterfly fish especially copper banded butterfly fish
4. Aptasia eating nudibranchs

You want to avoid damaging the integrity of the anemone while using any of these methods. Even the slightest abrasion can release reproductive cells all throughout your tank. These are asexual organisms that can spawn new generations by the dozens with the release of single cells that are infinitely small. I have tried every method I have mentioned except the electrical probe. As previously stated, the Joe's Juice worked perfectly every time. Make sure you shut your powerheads and pumps about 5 minutes before you try and exterminate and leave those pumps and wavemakers off for atleast 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes so that it gives time for your method to take hold and kill your pest.
I hope I covered all bases, and if I missed something or was misinformation, someone please correct me and lead this hobbyist in the right direction. Goodluck! And act swiftly!
I wasn’t aware nor have I heard that aiptasia have toxins that you can breathe in.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia are not palythoa, they don't carry toxins? I'd also refrain from adding peppermint shrimp as 90 percent of them will eat your LPS. There are some products out there that can be injected into the pest anemones but there's risks with them spreading. Many have had success with berghia nudibranchs. If aptasia have "toxins" like palythoa I'd like to see a link to read up on.
I didn't say aptasia were palythoa. I said they were an anemone.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touch anything in your tank then touch your eyes and your going to have problems. I simply asked for a link that aptasia carry toxins as I like to learn, no need to get defensive. The way you explained the toxins aptasia carry it seemed you were talking about palys.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware that they has toxins you could breath in either until about a year ago a friend of mine tank was saturated with them. He probably had 200 or more. He decided that he was going to take his live rock and put it in his bath tub and pour boiling hot water on top of the rock until it was all submerged, scorching the pests to death. About half way thru he started choking and his wife had to call EMS. He was treated and released the same night but I think that one is called life's lessons. There were no chemicals used. Just live rock, an abundance of aptasia, and boiling hot tap water. I can call him later today and find out the exact diagnosis the hospital gave but this is the story I got and so sometimes someone else's mistake is someone else's knowledge.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touch anything in your tank then touch your eyes and your going to have problems. I simply asked for a link that aptasia carry toxins as I like to learn, no need to get defensive. The way you explained the toxins aptasia carry it seemed you were talking about palys.
I wasn't getting defensive brother. I apologize if it sounded that way. But I did state in the very beginning that they were anemones. I'm a little wired right now. Haven't been able to sleep and need to desperately. I was simply trying to give the guy every possible option he could go with either by instant remedy or a natural remedy. I still prefer the Joe's juice over all mentioned

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say aptasia were palythoa. I said they were an anemone. And actually you might wanna check up on your facts. They do have toxins. An although they aren't deadly there have been a number of people end up in the er because of inhaling toxins they expell if there are an excess amount. I have alot of lps, never had any issues with shrimp eating my lps. But try this....touch an aptasia then touch your eyes and tell me what happens. I thought I gave pretty good informative advice as having a lot of experience with dealing with aptasia since my lfs grows it on everything in their fish store. Not mentioning names but thanks for the constant pests R!$×!
To be honest man, peppermint shrimp do eat LPS. I’ve seen them do it many times. Once the aiptasia is gone, they will eat almost any LPS. They’ve eaten my acans, a whole hammer and my pagoda.

To the OP, I’ve dealt with aiptasia many times. Don’t worry about toxins. All anemones sting and aiptaisa have probably the most mild sting. I could touch them all day and not worry about them.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, read the link that was provided and you'll be fine. You do not have to worry about toxins from an aptasia and of course don't boil live rock.
The nematocysts of Aiptasia have a toxin that is more potent than the majority of corals kept by the hobbyist (with the Elegance Coral - Catalaphyllia jardinei being one exception) and can cause tissue regression in sessile corals, immobilize prey, and even kill unlucky crabs, snails or fish
Aiptasia Anemone Control and Information | Corals for Sale, Berghia Nudibranch, and other saltwater livestock
https://saltyunderground.com/category/aiptasia-information-and-control. Since you say I'm so incorrect about toxins. There's your in writing.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware of nematocysts, they are meant to sting prey. That toxin is totally different then what your suggesting. And again, your friend literally boiled rock but your telling everyone it was the aptasia that made him have trouble breathing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please remember to keep these discussions family friendly. I love a healthy discussion as much as anyone but keep it civil.

I'll offer my take on this, because I do find it interesting. I'm a big fan of Skeptical Reefkeeping. We know that aiptasia contain toxins. We know that some toxins can go airborne and cause respiratory distress when hit with boiling water. What I have never seen is scientific proof that the toxin from aiptasia will go airborne or cause respiratory distress when boiled. We also have no way of knowing what else was boiled on that live rock that could have released an irritant.

Would I ever pour boiling water on an aiptasia outside of a tank? Absolutely not. Would I pour boiling water on live rock without aiptasia outside a tank? Absolutely not. Both have a high level of risk I am not willing to expose myself too.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please remember to keep these discussions family friendly. I love a healthy discussion as much as anyone but keep it civil.

I'll offer my take on this, because I do find it interesting. I'm a big fan of Skeptical Reefkeeping. We know that aiptasia contain toxins. We know that some toxins can go airborne and cause respiratory distress when hit with boiling water. What I have never seen is scientific proof that the toxin from aiptasia will go airborne or cause respiratory distress when boiled. We also have no way of knowing what else was boiled on that live rock that could have released an irritant.

Would I ever pour boiling water on an aiptasia outside of a tank? Absolutely not. Would I pour boiling water on live rock without aiptasia outside a tank? Absolutely not. Both have a high level of risk I am not willing to expose myself too.
I.completelt agree with you on all accounts. I was merely identifying the op problem, then offering helpful suggestions as to treat it effectively but safely while also letting the guy know about issues to avoid. Like trying to kill aptasia with your pumps on and having the cells spread. I wasn't looking for a big debacle on the situation. How do they say it? No good deed goes unpunished? By offering advice and letting a fellow new reefer apparently because if he had been experience he would have probably known what aptasia looked like... and wanted to let him know of a situation that happened to a friend of mine. It didn't happen to me but I do know for a fact that's how it happened to him. So because I tell a story that happened to be true I get berated called a liar said I dont know anything that I'm talking g about and misquoted. I edited the post about the toxins even tho they do have toxins because I do not want to be associated with giving false information or misleading information. The purpose of the forum is to help people when in need. Not to chastise people because you feel like picking on someone. He picked, so I picked back. Was it right? Probably not but my point of view on the entire matter was not only to make an example but be more comical than anything. I'm sure there were a few laughs and probably a few nods of the head and probably even a few shakes of the head, but I did try and keep it clean while keeping it funny and maybe next time when someone is Offering help, someone standing on the side lines won't try and cut the entire hand off. I'm all for honest criticism but don't try and make someone look unecessarily stupid. You said what you had to to me, in a calm respectful way and still managed to get your point across. It wasn't hard to do. All it took was a little bit of manners, a bit of intelligence, and some respect; and in return, you sir get my respect back because it is certainly due. There is nothing wrong with giving respect. The fact is the op had an issue. I identified it, gave options, and safety concerns not only.for his tank but him as well. What else could you ask for? The only.thing left was for me to just drive over to the guys house and do it for him.and had he lived with in about an hour or so I would have done just that. I may not know everything about reading, but dare I say anyone does? You learn something new every day. And in saying that, I didn't just start yesterday. I have several very successful reef tanks and I take pride in saving a part of mother nature that she just isn't doing well enough on her own because of environmental changes. I buy coral daily, and have given away more coral than probably anyone here because I love the hobby. I'm not in it for the money. And in saying that, if there's ever anything rare that you're looking for sir, please let me know and if I have it it's yours if you'll pay for the shipping. Have a good afternoon sir and altho inwouldnliventontake your advice on getting that much needed sleep, unfortunantly.i have to get to work

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used nudis before and they worked. I only had to get 3 and they cleared out the aptasia. I only had like 2 that I could see but that means there were more!

People dont like using the nudis because when the food is gone they either die or like mine did THEN moved on to my polyps. People swear that this certain species cant and wont eat anything but aptasia but mother nature has a way and we are silly to think she doesnt ;)

Good luck with the aptasia!

Oh and about the coral thing, if you have any OG or any other bounce mushrooms I'll take em HAHAHAH (this was a joke)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back