Help ID please

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish were put through strict QT. Tangs have been in there for a few months. All fish are fat and acting perfectly normal.

But unfortunately I found this white spot on one side of my juvenile blue hippo tang today. Rest of his body looks fine. This is two days after I introduced some inverts that were not quarantined...I feel so stupid :(

There is also a kole tang(tank boss) and yellow tang in the tank. So maybe a slashing he’s recovering from?

100gal DT, 134TV, mixed reef, sand, live rock, other tank inhabitants are 2 firefish, 2 wrasse, dwarf angel, 3 anthias, snails, shrimp

1DCD9B0D-D89E-41B8-8FA0-3259E9646F72.jpeg E04BAA4F-77DF-4A06-9108-D4EA4D7672D6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can be either lymphocystis or flukes.
I would start with a 4-5 min freshwater dip preferably in a dark clean container and add a pinch of baking soda for PH
return fish to display and then look on bottom of bucket for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If so- Flukes. If not, Lympho (which is viral) or crypto which starts slow and progresses. FW dip will be a good start either way.
If lympho- Assure real good water quality and diet
See if it remains as is next day or two. If increasing dots - will have to be addressed

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be either lymphocystis or flukes.
I would start with a 4-5 min freshwater dip preferably in a dark clean container and add a pinch of baking soda for PH
return fish to display and then look on bottom of bucket for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If so- Flukes. If not, Lympho (which is viral) or crypto which starts slow and progresses. FW dip will be a good start either way.
If lympho- Assure real good water quality and diet
See if it remains as is next day or two. If increasing dots - will have to be addressed
Okay thanks for the detailed and helpful reply.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if that pics better
The picture isn't super-clear, but I see a diffuse white spot. It is too large to be ich, and in the wrong location for Lymphocystis. Flukes are usually invisible, so that leaves the most likely thing to be a tail strike from another tang - and that is in a common location for that to happen. That said, it could become infected, so you need to watch it to see if it grows larger, OR if any new spots show up.

Jay

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture isn't super-clear, but I see a diffuse white spot. It is too large to be ich, and in the wrong location for Lymphocystis. Flukes are usually invisible, so that leaves the most likely thing to be a tail strike from another tang - and that is in a common location for that to happen. That said, it could become infected, so you need to watch it to see if it grows larger, OR if any new spots show up.

Jay
Okay. Understood. Thank you, Jay.

Back