ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not allowing video.
Maybe a ball anemone or something, try sending a picture without links
575908C5-B941-407F-8881-84BE368B98FD.jpeg

Took a quick screenshot, but the video is way better. Should work, I tested it, click and it plays in Instagram, filesize would break the site if I tried to load it here

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link worked for me - it's a pod of some kind, but I'm not sure which kind (or if it's a problem or not). The way it moved was odd though, because it looks in the video like it's bringing the tail up underneath the main part of the body and using it to push the body forward (so it looked like it was basically using the tail as a big foot for walking/crawling).

OP
OP
ShakerBreaker

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link worked for me - it's a pod of some kind, but I'm not sure which kind (or if it's a problem or not). The way it moved was odd though, because it looks in the video like it's bringing the tail up underneath the main part of the body and using it to push the body forward (so it looked like it was basically using the tail as a big foot for walking/crawling).
Someone recommended that I try to catch it and put it under a microscope, so I might see if I can possibly do that, maybe suck it up with a pipette.

I thought the back of it was super weird too, either a tail or little legs, guy is super small.

Here is a link for people with browsers that don’t support embedded media
Direct link

OP
OP
ShakerBreaker

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly an ostracod? It seems to be about the right shape and moves like one.
someone mentioned in the comments that it might be that, but the color is off, I guess those are mostly white? I've never seen one of these guys before, but then again I've only recently been able to zoom in this far into the tank.

General consensus is that it isn't a pest, which of course is always the first worry when I see something new. So I'm pretty happy for that.

OP
OP
ShakerBreaker

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I'd agree that it could be an ostracod, though I'd love to see a better shot of it. The stripes are neat.
I don't know if I'll be able to catch it, but I have more footage of it and I might be able to get more detail out of it.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone mentioned in the comments that it might be that, but the color is off, I guess those are mostly white? I've never seen one of these guys before, but then again I've only recently been able to zoom in this far into the tank.

General consensus is that it isn't a pest, which of course is always the first worry when I see something new. So I'm pretty happy for that.
I had ostracods previously that were white, but I think there are a number of different shapes and colors of ostracods.
From what I can see in the video, it does look to me like a striped ostracod based on shape and the way it moves.

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I'm wondering ostracod also. The link above is to my post showing a captured one. So far seems neutral but I still worry about it slightly. That one in picture was not returned to the tank.. saw another one in the tank couple days ago.

OP
OP
ShakerBreaker

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I'm wondering ostracod also. The link above is to my post showing a captured one. So far seems neutral but I still worry about it slightly. That one in picture was not returned to the tank.. saw another one in the tank couple days ago.
yeah, looking at your pictures it certainly seems likely that it is an ostracod. I haven't read anything about them that would be concerning. I went looking for it today, but I can't seem to find it, maybe it will come out during feeding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
575908C5-B941-407F-8881-84BE368B98FD.jpeg

Took a quick screenshot, but the video is way better. Should work, I tested it, click and it plays in Instagram, filesize would break the site if I tried to load it here
Looks like some form of hydrozoa

Back