Help ID, possible Lymphocystis

CaliCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could use some help with what I believe may just be lymphocystis but I would like another opinion. I have attached a couple pictures below. So for the back story this tank is just coming off being Fallow and treating for Ick. The fish were put into the display Sunday afternoon and now my damsel looks like this approximately 48 hours later. Treatment ran for ick was 30 days in copper power with two weeks observation. Total fallow time for the display was right around 50 days at 82 degrees. I doubt this could be ick presenting so soon as it shouldn't have had enough exposure time to get to this level, it also appears more fleshy if that makes sense. All other fish currently show no signs of issue and are eating aggressively. Any opinions would be appreciated. @Jay Hemdal @Humblefish

Thank you

20230328_170619-01.jpeg

20230328_170707-01.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t really look like ich to me - could be bacterial or lympho (I suspect bacterial as lympho typically starts by the fins). Is the damsel still acting fine?
Have the spots changed at all since you first noticed?

OP
OP
CaliCajun

CaliCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t really look like ich to me - could be bacterial or lympho (I suspect bacterial as lympho typically starts by the fins). Is the damsel still acting fine?
Have the spots changed at all since you first noticed?

I just noticed it last night for the first time so no observed change, it is still eating and acting normal. The marks are present on the fins along with the abdomen.

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could use some help with what I believe may just be lymphocystis but I would like another opinion. I have attached a couple pictures below. So for the back story this tank is just coming off being Fallow and treating for Ick. The fish were put into the display Sunday afternoon and now my damsel looks like this approximately 48 hours later. Treatment ran for ick was 30 days in copper power with two weeks observation. Total fallow time for the display was right around 50 days at 82 degrees. I doubt this could be ick presenting so soon as it shouldn't have had enough exposure time to get to this level, it also appears more fleshy if that makes sense. All other fish currently show no signs of issue and are eating aggressively. Any opinions would be appreciated. @Jay Hemdal @Humblefish

Thank you

20230328_170619-01.jpeg

20230328_170707-01.jpeg
I agree on ich being ruled out . What copper level was used and how did you monitor copper level?
My suspect especially with the sudden marks is lymphocystis as its mainly concentrated on fins and tail running onto body. There is a possibility some may be sand or bacterial tufts.
Good water quality is essential as is diet. Feed more than pellets- LRS nano frenzy would be good .

OP
OP
CaliCajun

CaliCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on ich being ruled out . What copper level was used and how did you monitor copper level?
My suspect especially with the sudden marks is lymphocystis as its mainly concentrated on fins and tail running onto body. There is a possibility some may be sand or bacterial tufts.
Good water quality is essential as is diet. Feed more than pellets- LRS nano frenzy would be good .
Copper was checked using a hanna checker and kept around 2.5PPM. current diet for the tank is PE mysis daily along with a sheet of nori.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copper was checked using a hanna checker and kept around 2.5PPM. current diet for the tank is PE mysis daily along with a sheet of nori.
Nori is not a part of their diet and would be surprised if it ate the nori. Mysis good but can be fatty. Add brine shrimp, LRS mentioned and even TDO pellets.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that this isn’t ich.

It sure looks like severe Lymphocystis to me, but the sudden onset doesn’t match up - Lymphocytis virus causes fish skin cells to grow to a giant size, and that just can’t happen overnight. If you are positive that this didn’t grow over a few days time, then the most likely diagnosis would be bacteria or mucus.

Jay

OP
OP
CaliCajun

CaliCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sure looks like severe Lymphocystis to me, but the sudden onset doesn’t match up - Lymphocytis virus causes fish skin cells to grow to a giant size, and that just can’t happen overnight. If you are positive that this didn’t grow over a few days time, then the most likely diagnosis would be bacteria or mucus.

Jay
Thanks for stopping in Jay,

Yeah this one has me perplexed, I transferred to the display on Sunday and at that time there were no visible marks anywhere on the fish. Monday I came home from work and fed as I usually do and did not notice anything however I wasn't looking for anything at that time either, Tuesday when I walked in the door I was able to see it before even approaching the tank. Very sudden onset especially for the amount of the body that is covered, for now I guess I'll just keep up the feeding and double check all my parameters to see if I need to do a water change. Any suggestions for treatment other then good food and water quality?

thank you

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
To me it looks like there are a lot of white spots on the glass - it's a little difficult to tell exactly which spots on the fish are 'the problem'. I guess I was leaning towards lymphocystis - since - I would guess that a bacterial issue would cause more symptoms.

OP
OP
CaliCajun

CaliCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like there are a lot of white spots on the glass - it's a little difficult to tell exactly which spots on the fish are 'the problem'. I guess I was leaning towards lymphocystis - since - I would guess that a bacterial issue would cause more symptoms.
Yes while fallow I had small tube worms go crazy and that's what you are seeing on the glass, the front glass that the picture was taken through however is clean.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back