Help ID single white growth on Clown

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my clowns in QT for 4 weeks.
They underwent 2 weeks of Prazi, 10 days of Formalin and 10 days of Focus/Metroplex in food.

Was about to release them to the DT but noticed this small white growth on the female 3 days ago.
It is 3D, jutting outwards. Looks like something wedged between scales? Doesn't seem to either go away nor grow after 3 days.

She's eating well and not scratching though I do notice the occasional white poop among normal poops.

Am I being too paranoid and should just release to DT?

DSC_0628.jpg
DSC_0641.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be lymphocystis which is often caused by poor water quality. With good maintenance and diet, it will fall off by itself
Do keep an eye on it

OP
OP
Julbra

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be lymphocystis which is often caused by poor water quality. With good maintenance and diet, it will fall off by itself
Do keep an eye on it
Thanks vetteguy! I thought the qt (10g) water had been very clean throughout as I’ve been doing 50% water changes every 2 days. The qt was properly cycled beforehand, zero ammonia measured since. The white strut did appear on day 8 of the formalin treatment though. I guess formalin in water could qualify as poor quality!

So if it is lymphocystis there is nothing more I can do for her in qt and might as well transfer to the 90g DT today where she should be much happier?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks vetteguy! I thought the qt (10g) water had been very clean throughout as I’ve been doing 50% water changes every 2 days. The qt was properly cycled beforehand, zero ammonia measured since. The white strut did appear on day 8 of the formalin treatment though. I guess formalin in water could qualify as poor quality!

So if it is lymphocystis there is nothing more I can do for her in qt and might as well transfer to the 90g DT today where she should be much happier?
It’s viral and will dislodge

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 5 inch pink tail triggerfish sitting in QT, it has developed exactly this white formation. At first i thought it was a damaged scale falling off but its growth caught my attention. I hope it falls off, for us both lol.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As predicted by @vetteguy53081 the cyst disappeared last week. It initially left a hazy patch and that healed in a couple of days. Both percs are very happy in the DT.

Here she is today:
DSC_0696.jpg
Nice comeback- keep ‘em healthy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back