Help ID something on my duncan

AlexLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

Can anyone help me ID this on my Duncan coral? Looks like spaghetti...(not the worm)

Thank you in advance.

DSC_8005.jpg DSC_8026.jpg

Last edited:

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this one is on a leather coral I bet or gorgonian at the moment.
Have on mind it ca become invasive at some point.
It feed on the particles in the water stream and mainly take phytoplankton.
try not to take it off with tweezers because it will split and will become new one, and is jelly like, hard to pick it up.
I can suggest to go rid of it, and look for more i your system!
Taking out: with turkey blast it with high strength, and after few times blasting it it will detach, after suck it with the turkey to take it our (net catching don't help much, and with tweezers can't again)

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry don't get is on a duncan coral, be careful blasting it then!

But please get another photo, to see isn't new grow on the duncan, from another angle Please (just in case I may be wrong about the Benthic Ctenophores)

OP
OP
AlexLS

AlexLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking on taking the coral out and dipping it. At first I thought is some kind of nudi but after looking closer I don't know anymore.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is %100 mesentarial filaments, essentially coral scabs. When a coral is poked through the flesh they will release them to keep the area clean until it heals, they are packed with nematocysts and kill small copepods and the like. Dipping the coral will only make it more stressed, they will disappear in a few hours.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking on taking the coral out and dipping it. At first I thought is some kind of nudi but after looking closer I don't know anymore.
Google it Benthic Ctenophores if it move/slide then probably is what I guess, or just get different angle photo to determine it if it's new polyp growing.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is %100 mesentarial filaments, essentially coral scabs. When a coral is poked through the flesh they will release them to keep the area clean until it heals, they are packed with nematocysts and kill small copepods and the like. Dipping the coral will only make it more stressed, they will disappear in a few hours.
you may be right about, but I never saw on that area on duncan mesenterial filaments coming out of the flesh/leather, even on disturbing it (scratch on it). Another angle photo like I say can help, and this one can be dipped in a iodine solution may help the coral heal faster, if that's the case.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may be right about, but I never saw on that area on duncan mesenterial filaments coming out of the flesh/leather, even on disturbing it (scratch on it). Another angle photo like I say can help, and this one can be dipped in a iodine solution may help the coral heal faster, if that's the case.
Mesenterial filaments can be excreted from any part of the coral's body, often due to physical damage (a hermit pinching it for example). Dipping in iodine would probably help heal it faster, yeah. Other than that, there isn't much else. Luckily, the coral itself looks happy.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back