Help ID tentacle or sort of slime

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

Can any of you help me identify this kind of slime or tentacle? It seems to be irritating my coral. It starts from the base where the skeleton is glued to the plug and continues on.
IMG_9961.jpg
IMG_9962.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like sponge and even possible tunicates

OP
OP
Alvaro_Spain

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another pic. seems like something attacking/digesting the coral. I can see it moving in real time slowly advancing.
IMG_9963.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Another pic. seems like something attacking/digesting the coral. I can see it moving in real time slowly advancing.
IMG_9963.jpg
with closer pic, I now wonder if nudibranchs?? I would take coral out and place in container of tank water and brush off with a clean toothbrush

OP
OP
Alvaro_Spain

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nudibranchs?! it is like a string that moves and advances from the plug. It had nothing last time I checked 4 hours ago. I´m certainly taking it out of the tank into a container till I find out more.

edit: best description I can give is that it is a thin filament that advances slowly and sometimes makes little balls over itself before continuing moving. When I disturb the filament or break it with the tweezers it grows back and reattaches to itself.

Last edited:

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow strings are part of the corals digestive system and is a stress response...it's most likely nudibranchs. Something is eating that coral to the point it's trying to digest itself....like when you get poison ivy and scratch yourself to high heavens...this is really common in sun corals, looks almost identical to what happens when they get attacked by nudibranchs. Seems like duncans and dendros do this, and some other LPS, when they get stressed. I would yank it and start treating it.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
with closer pic, I now wonder if nudibranchs?? I would take coral out and place in container of tank water and brush off with a clean toothbrush
I would take this advice, add to it with a turkey baster. Try to gently blow off what is on the coral.

It could be extremely irritated and is exposing digestive tissue. A turkey baster will help you see if it is from the coral or a nudibranch.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nudibranchs?! it is like a string that moves and advances from the plug. It had nothing last time I checked 4 hours ago. I´m certainly taking it out of the tank into a container till I find out more.

edit: best description I can give is that it is a thin filament that advances slowly and sometimes makes little balls over itself before continuing moving. When I disturb the filament or break it with the tweezers it grows back and reattaches to itself.
This sounds like coral warfare. I'll leave it to vetteguy to ask for tank parameters and other livestock.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since parameters were mentioned, What test kits are you using ?
Here are your targets although has nothing to do with substance on your coral. The reason I mentioned toothbrush method is that too many reefers will wait to see what it is to find eggs are now present and infestation has occured.

OP
OP
Alvaro_Spain

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since parameters were mentioned, What test kits are you using ?
Here are your targets although has nothing to do with substance on your coral. The reason I mentioned toothbrush method is that too many reefers will wait to see what it is to find eggs are now present and infestation has occured.
It is a pico tank 3.5 gallon. I do not test. I replace 50% water weekly. Can I dip the duncan in fresh water like I do with zoanthus hoping to kill this thing? Will do the toothbrush too with tank water.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is a pico tank 3.5 gallon. I do not test. I replace 50% water weekly. Can I dip the duncan in fresh water like I do with zoanthus hoping to kill this thing? Will do the toothbrush too with tank water.
Peroxide- not FW

OP
OP
Alvaro_Spain

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesenterial filaments

thanks! they certainly look like it. Although they are coming from in between the base of the duncan and the plug. Not from the 2 mouths.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back