Help Id these white spots on purple tang

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my purple tang for a month now with no problems last night I’ve spotted a couple of (white spots) No other fish have them he’s eating the same no change in that I have uploaded a video

Attachments

• IMG_1696.MOV
    22 MB
OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the video isn’t working here’s a pic

4A92A70D-AF3F-4E9B-8DD3-32B083F78FF1.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Cryptocaryon, marine ich. As @JGT said, white light is best for pics. The video failed for me also. One thing that seems to work for videos is to upload them to Youtube and post a link.

Here is a trick about ich: if that is what it is, it is an early infection, so you have a little time to confirm the diagnosis. Using a clear picture of the fish, compare it to the fish after another 24 to 36 hours. If the spots have changed location, or changed in number (either higher or lower) it is more likely ich. If the exact same spots are in the same locations, it probably isn't ich.

Jay

OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and I’ll try tomorrow when the lights comes on And I’ll put them on just white to see if they show up and it’s just the tang that has the spot and it’s over 24hrs since o noticed them

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Cryptocaryon, marine ich. As @JGT said, white light is best for pics. The video failed for me also. One thing that seems to work for videos is to upload them to Youtube and post a link.

Here is a trick about ich: if that is what it is, it is an early infection, so you have a little time to confirm the diagnosis. Using a clear picture of the fish, compare it to the fish after another 24 to 36 hours. If the spots have changed location, or changed in number (either higher or lower) it is more likely ich. If the exact same spots are in the same locations, it probably isn't ich.

Jay
Jay, curious, if the spots don’t move what would it be?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree with crypto. Saltwater Ich, also known as Marine Ich, Marine White Spot Disease, is caused by the parasite Cryptocaryon irritans. Treatment once as jay mentioned is identified will be of importance for success. Formailin may work well on this but a freshwater dip and Chloroquine is highly effective.
Do not treat though until it has been verified as to what it is

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with crypto. Saltwater Ich, also known as Marine Ich, Marine White Spot Disease, is caused by the parasite Cryptocaryon irritans. Treatment once as jay mentioned is identified will be of importance for success. Formailin may work well on this but a freshwater dip and Chloroquine is highly effective.
Interesting, thought copper was SOP for ich. Didn’t know FWD and Chloro is an alternate option.

OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How can it come on so fast ? No other fish have it and would you say ich off the pictures I have uploaded with just white lights on i will get a qt set up for all my fish and will they be safe in a qt tank for 90 days ? Thanks

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can it come on so fast ? No other fish have it and would you say ich off the pictures I have uploaded with just white lights on i will get a qt set up for all my fish and will they be safe in a qt tank for 90 days ? Thanks

Oddly enough, this is a slower-progressing disease than some of the others that present similar symptoms (e.g. Amyloodinium, Brooklynella).

Fish can also have some immunity towards it, or can have it and not present symptoms (the white spot is the slime reaction to the parasite, but not the parasite itself).

If your QT tank is big enough and has established bacteria, or if you can otherwise maintain the water quality, they should be fine in a QT tank indefinitely.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Using the word irritants, the cysts have been there and have matured whereas you now see them with the naked eye. Either they continie to mature into what we call marine Ich OR continue to cover fish which could then be velvet in which I like Jays suggestion of seeing if and how it progresses in the next day or two. I mentioned some treatments.
My new personal love as it worked quickly and effectively for me is Polyp Lab " MEDIC"

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Onre thing I should also mention to about Chloroquine. . . . . . The downside of using chloroquine as a saltwater ich treatment is that there are no commercially available tests to help you monitor the levels of chloroquine in your water. You measure once, add it to your tank and hope you got it right :(

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onre thing I should also mention to about Chloroquine. . . . . . The downside of using chloroquine as a saltwater ich treatment is that there are no commercially available tests to help you monitor the levels of chloroquine in your water. You measure once, add it to your tank and hope you got it right :(
Cures ich and COVID-19, who'da thunk it?

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the word irritants, the cysts have been there and have matured whereas you now see them with the naked eye. Either they continie to mature into what we call marine Ich OR continue to cover fish which could then be velvet in which I like Jays suggestion of seeing if and how it progresses in the next day or two. I mentioned some treatments.
My new personal love as it worked quickly and effectively for me is Polyp Lab " MEDIC"
Is this polyp lab medic reef safe?

OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So coper is out of the question in a qt tank ? As I’m from the U.K. I’m not sure we’re I could get chloroquine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, curious, if the spots don’t move what would it be?
I can’t tell from the photos, but fish do get the odd spot here or there that may be velvet f no real consequence. That said, purple tangs very frequently get ich. Copper is the treatment of choice, with a good test kit or a Hanna checker, treating fish that have been exposed in the absence of invertebrates of course.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So coper is out of the question in a qt tank ? As I’m from the U.K. I’m not sure we’re I could get chloroquine
Chloroquine isn’t available anywhere that I’ve seen due to misuse for COVID.
Jay

OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell from the photos, but fish do get the odd spot here or there that may be velvet f no real consequence. That said, purple tangs very frequently get ich. Copper is the treatment of choice, with a good test kit or a Hanna checker, treating fish that have been exposed in the absence of invertebrates of course.
Jay

is this picture not good enough for an id ?
EF07A602-7E72-4CCD-AD80-BCB630A13B16.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back